Skip to main content

This just in...

I just read this:


I'm a little bit confused.

These arguments are, of course, not new. There were very similar arguments about Social Security, 401(k) provisions, IRAs, mandatory car insurance, etc. Yet, somehow, there are still retirement companies doing very well making money and ensuring the retirement plans of millions. Car insurance premiums are not so astronomical that they are uncontrolled or intolerable - in fact, the competition between car insurance companies ensures that they are able to control costs and pass savings along to consumers.

So when the judge says that this will lead "unbridled exercise of the federal police powers," it is unclear where the basis for his logic/reasoning stems from.

Perhaps this is the classic "slippery slope" logical fallacy. More on that can be read here:


The long and short of that article is that action A, which MAY lead to action Z, does not necessarily mean that it MUST. A snowflake does not impend a blizzard, a rivulet does not portend a flood, and one action does not necessarily mean that any other will follow - no matter how likely...

The article further goes on to state that the judge notes:

"At its core, this dispute is not simply about regulating the business of insurance, or crafting a scheme of universal health insurance coverage, its about an individual's right to choose to participate."

This reminds me of the quote that patriotism is not the last recourse of the despot - it is the first. This judge has taken it upon himself to defend all of America and the sacred rights we hold dear. While that's very noble of him, it's not his job. That belongs to the duly elected representatives (the Congress) of the United States. Several questions come to mind, including where/why the judge presumes this responsibility, to whom is the judge responsible, and what does he think the end result of such an opinion will be. Ultimately, this will end up in front of the Supremes...

It is clear that the exercise of this police power in this instance is not only not without precedence, but is a valid exercise of this power. The economic argument is spurious as well - that there should always be a choice to "do nothing." If you drive a car, you are required to have valid insurance. Since everyone will ultimately use the hospital/medical profession for some reason - even preventative medicine - it should follow that all should have some kind of protection.

I have been paying for my own insurance on my car(s) for more than 13 years. In all of that time, I have never had a claim. I could not say the same thing about my medical insurance - from sick children to the birth of those children, my family has had its fair share of time in the hospital. I, personally, have not had to be a guest of the medical field (knock on wood!) but it is reassuring to know that it is there if I need it...

And I am concerned about those who do not have it. Those who work hard and cannot afford the premiums. Those with small children who fear those children getting sick because any medical encounter at all would wipe them out. Those who are elderly and face an ever-increasing tsunami of medical bills...

I feel it is the responsibility of the government to help promote the general welfare. It is clear to me that the health of our fellow-citizens is directly and intimately tied together with the general welfare. I also feel that the steps the government has taken are appropriate and proportional to the need.

Comments

Bill Cobabe said…
So I attended an interesting City Council meeting last night. It seems that the EMS (emergency medical service - the ambulance guys) department of the City has succeeded in losing more than 1.5 million dollars for the City in the past 5 years. That's about $300K/year, which is not a small amount. The discussion last night ranged around the ideas of how we could better obtain the money up front to how we can follow up on these folks and demand that they pay. Because the losses came directly from the patient's inability to pay. So the 1.5 million was being written off as bad debt. It's really just a housekeeping item - there's no way for us to go get the money anyway.

But someone pays for that.

The other ambulance riders pay for it. Those who have insurance pay for it. The prices per ride are artificially elevated (I think it's a couple of thousand dollars for a 12 mile ride to the nearest hospital) in an effort to recoup costs from those who cannot pay. And Medicare/Medicaid will only pay a certain amount. Most insurance companies will only pay a certain amount. And if the person cannot pay the difference, well, it get's written off as bad debt.

We're not going to start refusing people a ride if they cannot pay. But the whole system is messed up. Why should people be worried about getting sick in our City because they cannot pay? Why should anyone ever worry about not being able to pay for health care? Why not have everyone insured? Why not make an option available for everyone to get insurance where they don't have to worry about these things?

Interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t