Skip to main content

Chapter 11

The room was vast.

Created of what appeared to be hundreds of individual spheres with the interstitial walls removed, all of the same rust colored material I'd seen everywhere in my stay here, it created an effect that was stunning. It reminded me of something I'd seen in my Introduction to Architecture class I took back at Berkeley. Something about fan vaults or coffers or something... the glass-smooth, gracefully arched ceiling rose dramatically overhead in a regular series of scoops.

And it all seemed to go on for about 100 yards or so. The ceiling rose perhaps 30 feet above us. At one end was a raised dais, on which was placed a draped coffin. There were several seats on the dais as well, and a podium at which one might speak or eulogize. Directly behind the coffin was a large, high chair. It was obviously ancient - four hundred years old or more - and just as obviously the seat of power for someone to sit and wield that power.

Joining me on the floor of the large room were serried ranks of about 100 men, all dressed in the same bright yellow I'd seen at the wreck. They stood in muted silence. No one moved, although a few were openly weeping. These were hard men, and I marveled that they could be brought to tears for any reason, much less the loss of one woman. It was, in all, a quite impressive sight.

At that moment, the door to the left of the dais opened and about ten people entered the room. They walked sedately and nobly. Rick was in the lead, followed immediately by a young man who could only be Rick's son. He looked to be in his early 20s and walked with a firm, assured step. He was also not a man to be trifled with, but he, too, wept openly. Occasionally silent sobs racked his body as he crossed the space leading to the dais.

Immediately behind him was the small figure of a woman. Dressed in black and thickly veiled, it was quite impossible to determine anything about her other than that she was also strong and confident. There was a reluctance to her step, however, as though she would bolt at any second. She dutifully followed Rick and his son up the steps leading to the dais and took her place next to them.

After being seated, there was complete silence for five minutes. It seemed like an eternity. There was no motion - even those who had been weeping and would occasionally wipe moisture from their faces stood with heads bowed in humble respect for the deceased. It was still and peaceful and calm.

Suddenly I became aware of a deep voice chanting. It seemed to emanate from all the voices in the room simultaneously and it was impossible to locate who began it. The language was that strange one I'd heard spoken by Rick and his men at the crash site, yet in this form it was base and beautiful, the cadence lending it power and strength. The voices grew stronger and stronger, and I noted that the men in the room were all responsible for the sound. Some were slowly raising their heads and directing their attention toward the casket. The sound grew louder, the cadence remaining sedate and slow. I noted Rick and his son were sounding along with the others, even Rick now weeping openly. In fact, every one was. My children, overcome by the power of the moment, also wept, which of course set me off....

Just as suddenly, the chanting stopped. Rick stood at that moment and said something in that language I did not understand. Then the casket began to descend into the dais, lowered on unseen rollers and straps. As soon as the casket broke the plane of the dais, an incredibly powerful beam of light erupted from beneath the dais, bathing the casket in light as it descended. It was a very dramatic effect, lovely, serene, and reverent.

As the last bit of the casket descended below the dais, the light went out. And when I say the light went out, I should really say - the lights went out. Not only the light below the casket went out, ALL of the lights in the room went out. The room was completely dark. It was that under-the-earth darkness where it is so dark your brain begins to imagine lights that are not really there. Again, profound silence reigned until, once again, the chanting began. This chanting was different than the first. It was strong and quick and lively. The voices were not blended into one deep thrumming, but rather the varied pitches created a beautiful harmony. The chanting began to get faster and faster.

When the chanting reached a fever pitch, a single, brilliant light was illuminated over the throne, casting a beam of intense light onto the great seat of power. It was incredibly dramatic, designed to focus everyone's attention on the center of the room. The small woman, still heavily veiled, slowly ascended the steps leading to the ancient throne. She turned and faced the audience, her black shroud unearthly and grim, but giving a beautiful benediction to the services. The chanting continued, getting louder and reaching a speed unthinkable, while she slowly raised her arms over her head. When they reached their zenith, her hands came together in a clap that was inaudible. No sooner than they did but the chanting stopped abruptly, filling the room with the echoes of the powerful cadence. She clapped again, this time clearly audible in the complete, raptured silence. Then she clapped for the third time.

Rick and his son stood and walked reverently to her side. They each slowly reached out with their right hands and took the corners of her veil. They slowly lifted the veil from her face, uncovering her mouth, her nose, her eyes. Those eyes I knew so well... those eyes I knew like I knew the caverns of my own heart... those eyes that were blue and beautiful and perfect... those eyes that I had come to feel were my very own...

The eyes of Janice, my wife.

Rick said something at this point, and the room erupted in cheers. The sound was deafening as it bounced around the cavernous room, reflected off the smooth, solid ceiling. Janice sat lightly on the chair, bathed in light and looking like a supreme leader.

Which, I suppose on later reflection, she is.

The lights came on at this point, illuminating the room again. Janice remained seated on the throne, speaking to Rick and Rick's son. She was speaking slowly and calmly, seemingly at peace with the world and the events. I don't know if I was more shaken by seeing her revealed like this or the absolute aplomb with which she took them. Then, across the room, our eyes met. She screamed out my name and rushed to me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t