Skip to main content

Chapter 15

I lay next to her in bed, our legs intertwined, her delicate head resting on my chest. We were always close, physically. We loved the touch of each other's skin and both of us could not sleep without some kind of physical contact - a hand, a leg, a foot, an arm... It served to enhance the tie that we felt for each other, comforting, warm, and peaceful. When I had to go out of town on business trips I missed her terribly. My heart literally ached, full of the sweet longing for her and her closeness.

So here she was, and all was right with the world.

For the moment.

"Will you please, please tell me what's going on, Janice?" I pleaded. She'd been evasive for the past couple of days, saying she didn't understand everything herself. She'd spent a lot of time with Rick, talking and discovering for herself what was going on.

Our quarters had been changed. We were now in a suite of rooms, with our own bathroom and even a small kitchen. The children were in their own, but connected, room not far from where we currently lay. The bed was bigger than we were used to, but comfortable. And everything we needed or wanted was provided almost instantly. Bearing plenipotentiary power certainly has it's perquisites...

She began hesitatingly, speaking of her childhood. She'd told me a little, of course, of what she'd experienced while she was growing up. But I'd never heard most of it, and certainly like this. When she spoke of her education, training, and - there was no other way to say it - indoctrination, she became distant and cold. She spoke of education that was at once academic, but also was secret and manipulative. She talked of physical training that was as rigorous as many special forces trainings I'd heard of. And the indoctrination she'd received into the inner machinations of the team were thorough and complete.

Needless to say, I was stunned.

When she related to me her position in the team, and really, the world, I was even more shocked. How could such an organization exist in the world? I wondered. Most of the dictators, autocrats, and even "democratically" elected officials on the world are either in the team or being directly controlled by the team. It seemed more than I could handle.

But the fun mental exercises were just beginning.

Janice went on to explain to me what the purpose of the compound we were living in was. She spoke of the vast inequities in the world, the greatest disparities stemming from the control of the military and the political will to use that control. Those who control the military also control the modes of production and transportation of life-giving and sustaining supplies: medical, food, etc. So whomever controlled the military really controlled the community.

"Think of the billions who exist in the world, ignorant and benighted, because they do not have access to the food, medical supplies, transportation options, and education that they need. They spend all of their days grubbing for food, subsisting on the equivalent of a dollar a day - and most often on two or fewer meager meals per day. Think of the environmental toll on the world as these people look for fuel for their cooking fires, as they deposit their wastes in unhealthy locations, as they remove forests to expand their farming ability," she said. "Think further of the wealth that we have here, the ease of access to food, transportation, and education. Think of what WE are doing to the environment, too..."

She knew this was a sore spot for me, knew that it would get my ire up... She was sincere, but I was also beginning to feel manipulated. She was speaking with a kind of fire and passion I'd never seen in her, an intensity I'd never seen before in anyone. It made me uncomfortable, which was something I'd never felt from Janice before...

She explained how these rooms had been created. A member of the team discovered a new solvent that would dissolve just about anything. It had a particular affinity for silicone, and sandstone is made almost entirely of quartz, which is made up of silicone and oxygen. It also worked extremely well on organic compounds and petroleum-based products, such as nylon. In fact, the only things it did not dissolve were tin, silver, mercury, platinum, gold, and other soft metals. The solvent had been used on sandstone in the southern Utah desert to hollow out a place for storing nuclear waste. It turns out that quartz, because it is relatively inert, is an amazing buffer for storing nuclear material. And because the solvent is so effective at creating these spaces efficiently and with no residual health or environmental impacts, it seemed like a good thing all the way around. She said that these rooms had been made in an adjacent cavern to those storage facilities. The polishing was a natural result of the solvent process, and the round, spherical shape was chosen simply for convenience. The rust color stemmed from the iron remnants left in the sandstone as it dissolved, staining the adjacent stone a darker hue than it was originally.

"Tomorrow," Janice said, "I am going on a tour of the facilities here. Would you like to come along?"

"Yes, very much," I replied.

"Good. My father will be here to show us around. He will answer any of our questions then."

We drifted off to sleep, hers a little more contented than mine. I still felt like I only knew a very small part of what was going on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t