Skip to main content

Debate?

I'm not even sure how to start this one. I'm going to try to think as rationally as I can... There's just so much. Anyway - bear with me.

1. The Trump Talk. How can anyone speak like that? I mean, I'm a dude, and I've been in the Navy, and I know that people talk like that. So I'm not surprised, sadly. But... I'm disgusted. I haven't even bothered to watch or listen to what was said - I can guess, and I've read a couple of commentaries about it. And Mr. Trump himself called it "locker room talk" whatever that means, and as if that excuses it. I just... I don't even know what to think. I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed that he said it in the first place or that I'm not surprised. I'm also disappointed that this is what we're talking about, rather than the issues. It's a distraction, and it has become an issue in its own right - for better or worse, character is something we have to talk about when it comes to our nation's leaders. But I wish it weren't. I'm deeply saddened that the nature of our political discussion has revealed such significant flaws in our chosen political representatives. Mr. Trump does NOT represent me. I also believe that he does not represent a majority of men. And yet, he's getting all the play as being the one who "tells it how it really is" or some other such drivel. The fact is, TOO MANY MEN DO TALK LIKE THAT. Far too many. It's discouraging.

2. Mrs. Clinton embarrassed herself by wading into the mud, although she generally did better than Mr. Trump. I expected more and better of her, though, and she should have completely heeded Michelle Obama's advice about going high when your opponent goes low. You're better than that. You don't need to wallow.

3. The trotting out of Mr. Clinton's accusers was a new and terrible development. I know Mr. Trump has threatened to do this for weeks, but it doesn't make anyone look better. Mrs. Clinton had nothing to do with Mr. Clinton's issues. What's the point of dredging them up and putting them on display? I really don't understand... We're deciding on Mrs. Clinton, not Mr. Clinton - he had his go 20 years ago... Is his wife somehow responsible for his indiscretions and immoral if not illegal behavior? I seriously don't get it. I do know that it's just plain ugly, and Mr. Trump doesn't look better because of it.

4. When they finally DID address some of the concerns in the election, the issues and the policy statements, I think that it went fairly well. I can see why Mr. Trump is interesting to people - his ideas are wrong, racist, Islamophobic, and will undoubtedly lead the county into a huge depression - but they're attractive to people who don't know any better. People who equate running a business like running a government. It doesn't work that way, but I can see how one might be interested. Mrs. Clinton, on the other hand, came off as being interested, engaged, and intelligent. Which is part of the (many) reason(s) why men feel threatened by her...

5. Mr. Trump threatening to put her in jail may have won the drama point of the night. That's simply not going to happen, and everyone knows it. It's drama - it makes for interesting reality TV show theatrics, but it's ultimately unsubstantiated and unfeasible.

6. Mr. Trump's last comment was perhaps the best thing I've heard out of his misshapen pie hole. His genuine regard for Mrs. Clinton as "a fighter" came across, and he handled the question much better than she did (complimenting his kids). He does have good kids. But surely there's something about Mr. Trump himself that is worthy of commendation... I mean, nothing comes immediately to mind for me either, and I can understand the pressure of having that to answer first... There's not a lot of love lost between them, and Mrs. Clinton in particular has endured A LOT of personal and emotional attacks.

Anyway. People are calling it a tie. I agree, in that I think they both lost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t