Skip to main content

Can't Believe My Eyes!

I was thinking this morning about different art forms and how they communicate ideas. It seems that there are different levels (for lack of a better term) in art production. There are the "higher levels", which would include things like painting, sculpture, classical music, and the like. These are the things that are installed in high-end art installations - either in museums or in private collections - or presented in grand exhibition halls and auditoriums. And they're almost like trophies... Things to be appreciated and which have intrinsic worth in and of themselves. They are valuable because they are understood to be either rare, precious, or of other significance.






But, then I got to thinking about things that were not considered "high level art". In this category, I would include things that appeal to the masses - things like movies, most computer-generated images, musicals, album covers, etc. My first thought is - is this categorization really fair? Certainly there is a degree of snobbery that is inherent in such a thing. But the "high level art" implies a certain kind of sophistication, experience, and/or education that enables the participant to enjoy things on a higher level, the way a botanist enjoys a beautiful flower garden more than the layman.

One could also argue, however, that the effect of art is communication. That a media that effectively communicates the desires of the artist - whatever they may be - is powerful. And that therefore the media/artist combination that reaches and communicates with the greatest number of people is the most effective, powerful, and valid. 


When you look at something like the collage above, where there is a combination of visual elements, both generated by a computer as well as "real" images of people, and obviously arranged by a computer, is there something going on, something that is powerful and still accessible? Is there something that speaks to the collective experience we have with these films (good or bad)? What is the artist trying to portray? The complexity and dimensions of this image (I would humbly submit) may be just as evocative as the first image.


Artists are trying to do two things - tell a story and invoke a feeling. They work in the media that is available and accessible to them. And they are successful in when that story and feeling are carried from the mind of the artist to the viewer.


This is someplace I've been. It's the London Southbank Skatepark, generally located in the vicinity of the Globe Theater. I think Shakespeare would approve. His work, while powerful and inspirational, could also be crude and bawdy, appealing to a varied spectrum of folks. When I see things like this, I appreciate the craft of the artists, the time and care taken to produce this kind of presentation, and the visual impact of the thing. It's busy and loud and overwhelming. It's also quite beautiful.

Consider this one:


This is a computer generated image, or at least a computer-manipulated image. It's beautiful in composition, powerful in presentation, and has a simple, glorious dignity that I find compelling. Again, it shows a mastery of the media, a care and craftsmanship that is clear and intentional, and it tells a story/evokes a feeling that is real and powerful. It's also just simply delightful and beautiful.

I'd like to end with this one:


Homer is almost instantly recognizable. His impact is global, and the Simpsons have represented (for better or worse) much of American culture around the world. So, is this art? Is it successful and effective? Is it beautiful? Are cartoons an art form?

Much of what we now accept as "high level art" wasn't necessarily always considered as such. At some point all of it was new and revolutionary. What I wonder about is the accessibility of the thing - if something is only enjoyed by a select few, can it be said to be successful? Isn't the true art the ability to reach people? To communicate? If so, which is the best art?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t