Skip to main content

Chapter 21

The weirdness continued.

As much as I was freaked out by the thought of sitting on top of a bunch of nuclear weapons (quite literally), I was even more concerned by Janice's behavior.

She had always been very warm and loving. This was exactly what I needed in my life. After my first wife died, I felt lost and adrift. I wondered frequently how a kind and merciful God - the God I'd grown up believing in - could inflict this kind of pain on me. I knew, of course, that God has a plan. Or at least, I found comfort in the idea that there may be a higher purpose in life than what we can now perceive. Our current view is so limited and constrained by the here and now, I found solace in the idea that there was a hope of a continuation beyond the grave.

But all of this seemed to ring hollow when I found myself alone.

I was not really alone. I had friends and family who loved me. But the physical and emotional intimacy I had craved with my wife was gone, gone forever. It was terribly lonely and I found myself waking up in the night crying, my pillow wet with my own tears. I knew I had to be strong for my son, but I had no idea where that strength would come from.

I met Janice on a bad day. I was cranky and did not want to be around people. But her smile warmed my heart then, the power and clarity in her eyes filled me with light, and I knew I wanted to be with her. She could be the anchor I so desperately needed. She became an angel to me. It is not a stretch to say I worshiped her a little, loving her, my queen, my goddess. I loved her with my entire soul, and I felt that love rebounding across the connection between us. It was sublime - the best and most pure feeling I'd ever known.

So now I was devastated to feel her pulling away from me. I noticed it in several subtle ways, ways she probably didn't even know how to acknowledge herself...

...she began using the foreign language in my presence. Earlier, she'd been very aware of my need to know what was going on. I guess it was easier for her to use that language - she certainly seemed natural using it. But it kept me in the dark and left me feeling distanced and isolated. She even started teaching it to our daughter...

...she was finding excuses to be away. I was not free to roam the compound, so any excursion I wanted to make had to be with her. As she was spending more and more time with her father and her brother and the others in the team I found myself spending more and more time by myself or with my son. Janice usually took our daughter with her when she left....

...she did not join the rest of our family for meals. I knew she was busy, but this was something she'd always made a point to do - have at least one meal together as a family. This may not seem a big deal to an outsider, but it made mealtimes feel cold and lonely. Soon I began having meals brought to our room so I didn't have to go out...

...but even more difficult to describe was the emotional distance that began to creep into our relationship. The strange passionate fire I'd noticed in her eyes when Rick was describing the nuclear weapons remained. If anything, it burned brighter than before. This fire threatened to burn out the passion she'd once had for me. It was a terrible and difficult thing for me. The thought that I was losing her love at all, much less to something so repugnant to me, was intolerable. But there it was - the reality of it staring me in the face.

She'd come back at night, late, exhausted but exhilarated. I'd press her for details about what she'd been up to, what was going on, but she was evasive and elusive, sharing only innocuous things that did not add up to much. It was maddening, but none of my usual attempts to wheedle more information from her were working.

I felt hopeless and dejected. Worse even, I felt rejected by something insidious and divisive, worried that I'd ever get my sweet Janice back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t