Skip to main content

The Rock

Helaman 5: 12 -

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Having been through the mighty storm, this scripture takes on a new meaning. We can each of us relate to this symbolism - we have all felt the strength of the storm beating on us, our homes, our lives, our minds. We have all felt the incredible and very real power of the adversary. And perhaps the most scary of all is the soft tendrils of destruction that insinuate themselves into our lives, weakening our defenses, our self-esteem, our feelings of worthiness and longing for home, and our ability to think clearly. These things do not happen all at once. Just like the mountain is not destroyed at once, but slowly wears down over millenia, so too will we fail if we are built on any of these false and fallible foundations.

I am convinced that our lives need not be measured by what we have experienced, but in how we react to it. People can torture others, inflicting all kinds of horrible wounds. Indeed, persecutions may rage, calumny may defame, and the very jaws of hell may open the mouth wide after us. But ultimately, the things that happen to me are NOT me. I am me, I am the master of my destiny. I am the decider on where to build my foundation.

All things are false and unsteady. Men are quick to do iniquity, arrogant, unforgiving, cold, heartless. I think that's why the Lord says cursed are they who put their trust in the arm of the flesh. On the other hand, think of the great blessings that are attendant with reliance on the Lord. Isaiah says that though our sins be like scarlet (which is an allusion to sexual sin, of course), they will be white as snow; though they be red like crimson (which is an allusion to arrogance, power, injustice, and inequity), they will be as wool. Oh, how I long for that!

How? How do we achieve this? Isaiah provides the answer (chapter 1):

16 ¶ Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;

17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

(Now maybe you'll understand why I feel so fiscally liberal...) ;-)

Again, it goes back to my own internal barometer and foundation. If I feel the security that comes through the firm foundation on which I must build, then nothing can shake me. Nothing. NOTHING. Not men or demons or death or hell. Christ is my master, my friend, my hope, and my salvation. If I abandon my selfish desires to Him I will find my REAL desires fulfilled.

And my real desire is to be with you for eternity in the grand Celestial Kingdom of our Father. Please, let's let go of those things that would remove us from this goal. Let's rely on Him more, let's be more humble, more grateful, less bitter, less complaining, more accepting, more childlike. Let's not forget who we really are and what we really, really want.

John 14: 27

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it is important to remember that this is a process. Nobody attains this level of perfection overnight. We are given a lifetime and beyond to work on perfecting ourselves, and far more importantly, we are given a Savior because our Father knew we would never, ever attain this on our own.

To think we could actually attain any of this on our own is just plain arrogant and foolish. It is to lean on the arm of flesh and to discount the role of Jesus Christ in our lives.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t