Skip to main content

The glory of books...

I like to read.

I inhale books. When I read books, I am in the story like watching a movie, but it's real in ways that no movie could ever be. I struggle with heroes across barren wastelands and heaving seas. I fight dragons and Nazis and fires. I win women and have children, earn awards and degrees. I visit different planets and worlds and eras, swimming alongside single-celled organisms and whales and icthyosaurs, flying with seed pods as they scuttle across the sky, boiling in the fiery caverns of volcanoes... I have baked pastries, escaped gangsters, fought lawsuits, travelled to the furthest reaches of Rio Negro in the Amazon, rocketed to the moon, and been present at the very beginning and end of the universe itself. I have struggled against crushing poverty and ignorance, felt the lash of the taskmaster's whip, experienced the crushing lack of humanity in a Russian GULAG camp, stoked the fires at Auschwitz. I have felt my soul expand mightily with the great philosophers of past and current eras. I have felt the very hand of God Himself writing on my soul and heart, molding me into the kind of man He would have me become.

When I read, I escape the mundane. I am not of this world any longer. I surrender completely to the whims of the author.

I love everything about reading. The struggle to find a comfortable position. The weight of the book in my hands or resting on my chest. The bite of the cover into the flesh of my palms as I grip it for strength through the intense portions. The smell of mustiness and dust and everyone who has read the book before me (in the case of library books) or of the printing and glue and shipping container (in the case of new books). I think I prefer library books, because I feel like I am sharing the adventure with unknown faces, each of whom have touched these pages and have been touched by them. I see traces of them left on the pages as I turn: maybe finger prints, smudges, bits of food or chocolate, sometimes even blood. Far from being offended, I am touched by these traces of humanity - these people loved this book so much that they couldn't put it down for anything: food, cleaning, even bodily harm were all just distractions from the book. I want to feel and love those whose hands and hearts and souls have warmed the pages of this book.

I love libraries. I love to sit in the library and read. I can feel the spirits of the authors who struggled to put their thoughts down and send them out into the world. I love to watch people in the library - researchers, families looking for that perfect children's book, and other bibliophiles like me, lurking, observing, and loving. I love people who go to the library to read, taking off their shoes, sitting and immersing themselves in their books. These are my people. I wonder what they're reading and where they're going in their books. I like the gentle glances and half-smiles as we rest our eyes before plowing back into the book.

Plowing - that's an appropriate term. Turning over the soil, exposing newness and freshness and allowing new ideas and feelings and worlds to germinate. Because that's the power of books - they take us places that we may not feel comfortable but are irresistible and compelling and soul-enlarging. We can close the book and walk away, but the words are imprinted on our souls forever.

Comments

Jeanette said…
Amen to all of that!
Anonymous said…
I can smell the library books too, as I read your blog. Thanks for the memories. Darrin and I are reading a very old copy of The Hobbit right now, and it smells like everything you described.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t