Skip to main content

Gift

I love Harry Potter. The books are fantastic, and the films don't disappoint either.

Some of the more poignant scenes in the series involve Harry opening Christmas gifts from the Dursleys. Gifts ranged from a toothpick to old socks to a coat hanger to a tissue. What's great about it is that in the midst of an outpouring of wonderful gifts from those around him who truly loved him, the Dursleys never missed a chance to demonstrate their disregard. No gift at all would have been preferable, but the fact that they remembered him enough to send something showed they really just didn't like him at all. And it's the contrast of the very satisfactory gifts (which he'd never had before) and the awful ones the Dursleys sent him that made the Dursley gifts so much more awful by comparison.

Last night we got a Dursley gift.

It should be pointed out that "gift" in German means "poison". Coincidence?

I saw this this morning:



I love Stephen Colbert. What a guy! And his show is always so on point, resonating almost exactly with what I am feeling this morning.

I've said before - and I firmly believe this - that the the president is largely a figurehead.

Image result for figurehead

The figurehead sits on the prow of a ship, giving inspiration and (maybe) intimidation, but not serving any real, functional purpose. It's decoration. It's even unnecessary. But we have to have one...

And it's really going to be OK. It really is.

Here's where I'm having heartburn:

At this point, and leading up to the inauguration, the president-elect is supposed to be a healer, someone the country can rally behind, putting partisan politics aside. The problem is, we're so very divided at this point, it's genuinely hard to imagine how this will be accomplished. Especially by Mr. Trump, who has done and said so much that has hurt so many - women, Hispanics, POC, Muslims, foreigners... Shucks, even the intellectuals in the country have felt his ire. So how is he going to start over in all of this? How can we (collectively) reach out to one another in a real sense of patriotism and unity? How can we just forgive and forget?

And should we?

I don't know. I really don't. Not today, anyway. I'm licking my wounds and feel like lashing out at anyone who comes close. I tried to listen to Trump's acceptance speech (victory speech) this morning, but I found those words coming out of his orangey face infuriating and mocking. And I don't know how to get past it.

So what happened? How did we get here?!? How could the polls have been so wrong?

Here's what I think happened with the polls: those who were voting for Trump didn't want to say so. Either out of embarrassment, spite, or other distrust of pollsters, those voting for Trump refused to answer the poll. Thus, those respondents who did respond skewed the polls in favor of Clinton. The few who were vocally in favor of Trump showed that it would be a close race, but many who ended up supporting Trump didn't want to say so.

That's just my guess.

I woke up this morning and put my flag into the frozen ground of my front yard. I am an American, and I will weather any storm. Our country has been through hard times in the past and we will get through this as well. My wife (jokingly) said that she'd call and rent a U-Haul this morning... But I'm here and I won't leave. This is my country, and I'm proud to be an American. I love my country. I love that things didn't go the way I'd expected them to go, but it went peacefully - with no violence and with a fairly transparent and clean process (no calls of fraud or vote tampering or anything). That speaks to the strength of our system.

So we'll go to work. The markets are going to take a hit today - they always do - but they'll rebound - they always do. We'll raise our families and we'll watch and we'll pray. And things will turn out OK.

And may God continue to grant us peace in our hearts and in our land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t