Skip to main content

Poll Position

We're getting down to it in this election. It's been... um... interesting? Disturbing? Frustrating? Disgusting?!? All of the above. But one thing it's not been is boring.

I say that, but I've been bored with it at times. There were times when it looked like things were so hand-picked that we're looking at nothing really significant being done. And perhaps that's my biggest beef with Hillary - she's just boring. Donald is repulsive and reprehensible, but he's not boring. So thank goodness for that.

The CNN poll I saw today has Hillary ahead by five points. I am not sure how they arrived at that number, but it's significant because even though that's a fairly slim margin in the popular vote, the popular vote has only ever really been the slimmest of margins. This article from NPR points that out:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/02/500112248/how-to-win-the-presidency-with-27-percent-of-the-popular-vote

Interestingly, the point of that article is that it is POSSIBLE, however unlikely, that one may win the election with only 21% of the popular vote. And it has happened that the person with the most popular vote did not with the actual election (think Gore/Bush in 2000). In fact, the electoral college skews things so much that it's tough to find reason for its continued existence. I mean, I get it - one shouldn't have too much power in an election, and the potential for fraud is reduced when you use the electoral college. But it really feels like we're being disenfranchised... And maybe we are.

Also of interest is the idea that the electoral college is much more powerful in some states than it is in others. This distillation of representatives means that states like Utah and Wyoming have a proportionally larger number of votes than California or Texas. Utah has six electorates in the college, while California has 55. California has over 13 million voters for those 55 votes, while Utah has a million for its six. This means that every electorate in California represents 236,364 people, while in Utah that number is only 16,667 (numbers based on the 2012 election participation). And so what? Well, my vote in Utah has a lot more weight (ostensibly) than it would in California. Is that right? Is that fair?

It's interesting to consider how things might have shaken out if we went by the popular vote. Bush would never have been president in 2000, having lost the popular vote to Al Gore. That would have had implications regarding the War on Terror and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Maybe we wouldn't have seen Barack Obama as president because of that. It's really had to say...

It's going to continue to be interesting with this election, too. Donald has already intimated that he wouldn't concede and has mentioned "fraud" or "rigged" several times. This is a little unnerving (I think Hillary's comment that it was "horrifying" was hyperbole, because whatever he says is irrelevant once he loses - and he will) and it may tie up the election results for a while. But in January we'll have a new president and everything will be just fine.

Comments

lillysmum said…
Just fine? I'm going to move to Canada. I'm 1/4 Canadian, it should work out. The world is wondering what the hell is in the water over here. Well, except the UK, after Brexit, they know what's in the water.
lillysmum said…
I'm either moving to Canada or crawling under a rock for the next 4 years. It will not be just fine to have a racist, sexist, misogynistic orange bun in the oval office.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t