Skip to main content

So I'm in Korea now. It's been a truly delightful trip so far and I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. One of the highlights thus far has been spending a little time with my wife's sister's son Hyeonsoo. He's a great kid (he's 18 - the same age as my son) and he was a good sport to spend some time with his oddball uncle from the States.

He was willing to go with me to one of my old mission areas - the first I'd been to when I got to Korea, actually - and walk around. Sure, it didn't mean much to him, but we walked around and looked at things that he had no reason to have any interest in. Like I said - he was a good sport. :)

When we were walking around where my first little apartment was, I asked him what he preferred - a high-rise apartment, or one of these low-rise condo or "villa" type apartments. See, in Korea there are several types of apartments, ranging from skyscraper types that are tens of stories high, to those which are four stories or less (they can avoid installing an elevator if they're four stories or fewer), to these buildings they call "villas" which feel more like large residences that have been separated out into small apartments. Perhaps that's how the style got started... I have been in several houses like this where it was just the house without being chopped up, and these folks were very wealthy indeed or had inherited the space. One of the defining characteristics of these "villas" is the inclusion of a small yard of some sort - usually not much more than 50-100 square feet, and often filled with concrete, but still there. This is considered a fairly good luxury - it's valuable space that is taken up by flowers or plants or something. And it's probably taxed at a much higher rate, which is why it's so rare.

So when I asked Hyeonsoo what his preference was, I was very interested to hear his response. He said he preferred this "villa" type structure. When I asked him why that was the case, he said it's because there was no "정" (jeong) in sky rise apartment complex. That each concrete block was almost exactly the same, and certainly each apartment in the complex was the same.

But the word jeong is what captured my attention. When I was a missionary trying to learn the word "jeong", I came to understand that it was a very complex word, one with many meanings and layers of implication. On one level, it simply means "affection" or "friendliness". But it goes much deeper than that. It implies a certain duty to one another, a responsibility that we all share as human beings to one another. And it means a kind of brotherly love, one that motivates and temporizes our actions, feelings, and attitudes towards one another. Each person has varying levels of this jeong, that move from quite apparent and overarching, to the quiet actions and attitudes of a neighbor towards their neighbors... Which could mean anything from the subtle head bow, nodding to the great and wonderful inside each other, to the tidying up of the parking area or stairwell when it gets dirty. This jeong suffuses this society and is key to how amazing this place is.

So when he said that there's more "jeong" in these "villa" neighborhoods, he was saying something profound and quite nuanced. It was lovely. And I think he was right on. Apartment complexes have to try much harder to break out of the cold, sterile antipathy that seems to permeate these little enclaves. If you live in an anonymous place of rigid regularity and antiseptic distances - both literally and figuratively - you have to work very hard to feel any kind of connection to a place or the people who live literally inches away from you. And I think that's hard on a society, on a people. I understand that it's necessary in order to have some semblance of peace in a world that is so crowded. But without the connections that make us people, that bind us together as fellow travelers, and that help a society overcome the individual and selfish pursuits that could form like a rot in the core of a mighty tree, we lose our sense of being a part of something amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t