Skip to main content

Proscenium Arch

No one thinks in terms of a proscenium arch any more. Most folks go to a movie theater where they don't even bother covering the screen with a curtain - a practice that was anachronistic when it was a thing. The curtain pulling back to reveal the screen was symbolic of the entering into another world, the idea that we were being given a window into somewhere - sometimes far away, or a long time ago, or in a distant future. This was, of course, begun with stage productions, where there was actual scenery behind the curtain, and pulling back the curtain revealed exciting and tantalizing hints about what we were going to witness. The proscenium arch acted as a window frame for this experience, and they became works of art in their own right, like a gilded frame of a beautiful piece of art. Which, upon reflection, they are.


I really don't know much about acting or the theater arts in general. So it's with all humility that I discuss such things. One thing I have learned is how hard actors work. These men and women train and sweat and concentrate in ways that are almost incomprehensible for the lay person. They get into their roles, giving themselves emotionally to the part. 


I heard this morning that Alan Rickman had passed. This makes me really sad - sadder than when I'd heard that David Bowie died earlier this week. Because Alan Rickman was a GREAT actor. He made me feel very strong emotions, and that emotional connection is so very vital in acting. Only truly great actors can do this - most are nothing more than entertainers... They are interesting to watch, but there's no actual emotional connection, and this means that there's no investment in the production. It may still be entertaining, but not inspiring or moving. And that's what separates really great art from the mundane.

My first memory of Rickman was in Die Hard. My mother took me to see it at the dollar movie in Provo... It was a really fun film, and Rickman was awesome in it - totally believable as a villain, which was a part he was most often associated with.



This may be one of my favorite scenes that Rickman did. It's from Quigley Down Under, which is a kind of obscure film, but one of my favorites. Rickman is so slimy and slick and just drips with evil... And yet, he can get off an amusing quip - oh, and by the way, you're fired... - it's just so cleverly delivered that it comes off as something the villain would say - not cheesy or forced or awkward, just brilliant.



Then there was this role, the Sheriff of Nottingham, where again Rickman uses his oily, slick evil portrayal of someone who has completely lost all scruples. His psychotic nature is revealed in his eyes as soon as Robin opens the door, and the rage that is consuming him and fueling his hatred toward Robin Hood.



I don't want to gloss over his whimsical roles, like Galaxy Quest. He was a villain there, too, but the whole thing was more of a comic book film, and his character was silly and stereotypical. Rickman, as usual, nailed it.

But this may be my all-time favorite role for Rickman. Of all the actors in the film series, Rickman was the most believable. Forever in my mind, when I think of the Harry Potter books or hear Severus Snape speak as I read the books, Rickman is Snape, and Snape is Rickman. He's not truly as Rowling describes - in the books, Snape is thin and bat-like, while in the films Rickman's character is not that - he's more seductive and subtle in his evil. I think it plays better, honestly, with Rickman. This is my favorite scene:



And this is a close second:



So today, on the day of his passing, I'd like to thank Mr. Rickman for taking me - and so many others - through that proscenium arch, into worlds of darkness and whimsy and so much joy. You'll be missed, sir. God speed.

Comments

lillysmum said…
Although I love him in all the roles you mention (No more merciful beheadings!), my favourite will always be Colonel Brandon.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t