Skip to main content

Consumption

This video is very interesting to me:



What fascinates me is the way the single-celled organism on the right envelopes the one on the left. These are two incredibly simple organisms, yet they represent the whole of the universe. There's so much going on here that it's just stunning.

Consider: these organisms are alive. At what level they are sentient - aware of their own existence - is a matter of conjecture, as we haven't figured out how to communicate with these animals. Yet they are each aware of their surroundings (pun intended) - you can almost feel the panic in the organism on the left as it begins to be consumed, and you can feel the patient persistence on the part of the organism on the right, knowing (?) (!) on some level that it's doing the right thing in taking in this perceptible (?) food... How it knows the other animal is food - how it knows ANYTHING - is just beyond comprehension... Yet, clearly it does.

Perhaps by taking the other animal into itself, an organism can begin to change. Perhaps this kind of chance meeting isn't chance at all. Perhaps this is how we got started - different animals taking different parts and pieces and making them into a grand, glorious whole... But just think of what random causality is apparent in that idea - how did these two cells come into contact with one another? What cosmic forces are at play? What if these two cells - these two individual animals - had never met? What if they do not survive - they subsist for a period of time and then - for what ever reason - die off, their combined uniqueness ill-adapted for survival? What forces, circumstances, or conditions must be in perfect alignment in order to produce this survival? I suppose that, given enough time, such random events are increasingly likely. But here's the thing - these processes began (however they began) billions of years ago, and other life has evolved and changed and grown and progressed since then, producing the marvelous diversity that we enjoy today. We live in a perfect mosaic of life, each facet, each piece contributing to the whole, lending beauty and interest and LIFE. And this life extends from these two tiny animals locked in mortal combat to you and I, dear reader. Which just blows my mind.

There are infinite infinities (Victor Hugo said that this was a terrible plural!) - the infinite within each of us, the Infinite of the Universe, whom we call God... Mathematics recognizes rational infinites, irrational infinites; thus, between zero and one are multiple infinities. In all of this infinite, somewhere we try to gain understanding and meaning, often frustrated at the limited nature of our own capacities. Perhaps the definition of "God" then is someone who is not limited as we are.

Perhaps.

Finally, consider that these to animals are animals. The definition of "animal" involves the same root as "animate" - meaning capable of movement, but it's the word's etymology that I find interesting. Here's what Merriam Webster has to say:

Middle English, from Latin animatus, past participle of animare to give life to, from anima breath, soul; akin to Old English ōthian to breathe, Latin animus spirit, Greek anemos wind, Sanskrit aniti he breathes

These animals, in acknowledging that they are animals, are alive. And they have a soul. A spirit. They may not communicate, they may not KNOW anything, and they may simply be functioning on some automated program, the same way a computer does - a series of inputs produces a result. But there is a soul to these things, something that is powerful and binding, a link in the chain that brings together all living things. And I think that's amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t