Skip to main content

Ah, English!

This is one of my favorite poems. It shows just how ridiculous it all is - ridiculously wonderful, and ridiculously frustrating, too. Here's a link:

http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

The BBC wrote about spelling in English here:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150605-your-language-is-sinful

Which is a very clever article. Personally, I'm very grateful for the spell-check function in most word processing programs, and even on this web page. Because you know what? It's difficult... It really is.

There are no spelling tests in Korean. People hear the words exactly as they're written, so it would be pointless to do so. However, for foreign speakers of Korean, there are there are a few sounds that are difficult to differentiate - 어 and 오, for example. The first one is a kind of "uh", and is usually written in Latin letters as "eo". It is found in the name of the capital of South Korea Seoul (서울). Note that "Seoul" in Korean is two syllables - "Seo-ul", and not one like most westerners pronounce it, as if it sounded like "soul". I'd liken this sound to the schwa sound in English pronunciation. The second one is more of a true "oh" sound, sounding like the "oh" sound in "oak". It can be difficult to hear the difference between the two, and I frequently had to ask which was meant when I heard them. Even Koreans have trouble catching the subtle (almost non-existent) differences between 애 and 에. They're written in Latin letters as "ae" and "oe", respectively, but they sound exactly the same. Perhaps there was an earlier need for the different spellings, something that has been lost in the generations since the Korean writing system (Hangul - 한글) This can be problematic when compared with other diphthongs that have similar romanizations. Again, Koreans have trained their ears from the beginning of their lives to hear the subtle differences, but foreigners have a more difficult time.

Further, Korean has pronunciation strangeness that makes sense when you speak it, but does not do as well when it comes to writing it. This is also found in English - for example, the word "speak" is actually spoken as "sbeak", rhyming more accurately with "beak" than "peak". But no one actually says "s-peak", even though that's the way it's spelled. Korean has the same kind of thing. Kimchi (the spicy pickled cabbage dish that is always present at a Korean meal) is typically pronounced with a somewhat harder "k" sound with the "k" being in the initial position. In Korean, there are three "k" or "g" type consonants - ㅋ, ㄱ, and ㄲ. The first is a very hard "Kh" sound, like "KICK" or "bloCK". The second is interesting, because as I mentioned, it depends on it's relative position in the syllable or word. If it is the initial "k" sound, it is a definite "k", although softer than the hard "Kh". If it is anywhere else in the word, it is a softer "g" sound, as in "golf". But Koreans cannot hear the difference between these harder "k" and softer "g" sounds, any more than we can hear someone really say "sbeak" when they're saying "speak" (although, now that I've pointed it out to you, you'll probably notice it). To Koreans, saying "kimchi" is indistinguishable from saying "gimchi", which is how it is romanized in other places. Foreigners who have not been desensitized to such pronunciations can definitely hear the difference, though. The last "k" of the series of three is a difficult one for foreigners, too. It's a "gg" sound, much stronger than the "g", but only in terms of volume. So, 가 is pronounced "ga", while "까" is pronounced "Ga!" or "gga!".

There are sounds that Koreans have to train themselves to use, such as "z", "f". "v", "th", and "see" (they say "sh-ee", and have a hard time with "see"). They also have a hard time with length of vowels, which can be problematic when saying words like "sheet" and "beach".

Anyway, the vagaries of language are fascinating to me. :) Yep. Geek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t