Skip to main content

Don't tread on me.

This weekend I drove some friends to Bryce Canyon and Zion national park. It was incredibly lovely. One of my favorite things about living in Utah is taking folks to see the natural beauty that exists in such abundance here. It's delightful to hear their gasps and exclamations of awe and wonder.

I read in the news this morning that ISIL or ISIS executed another American.

This may seem a bit of an abrupt topic change, but bear with me.

The true strength of our country lies not in our military might, but in our ability to use our political will to lead others in amazing ways. The national parks idea is one of those ways - Yellowstone being the first land in the world set aside for preservation and perpetual enjoyment. We care very much about such things, and have an extensive and expensive series of such parks across our country. It's awesome and inspiring.

So when I hear about this execution by folks who for whatever reason have a grievance with America, it makes me feel very dismayed. I don't doubt that some of the substance of their grievances are valid. No country is perfect, and America shares its portion of things that have been done poorly. But why do this? Why act in this way? I don't get it. Truly.

I understand that people feel powerless and are acting in ways that help to assuage their frustration and impotence. I also understand that they may feel religiously or morally obligated to seek out opportunities for retribution and retaliation. But why in this way? What good can possibly come from such actions? Are we finally going to decide - you know what, they're right. We should listen and acquiesce.

If that's what they think they couldn't be more wrong. Like the Japanese discovered in WWII, we are not a country to be provoked by violence, lest you wake that proverbial sleeping lion.

There's just got to be a better way to engage in discourse, to share ideas and grievances, and to have them mediated in appropriate, non-violent ways.

Make no mistake, I understand that having a strong military is important, and that the role of the military is both strategic deterrence and powerful responses when action is required. But ultimately the use of violence on any side represents a failure for peaceful solutions. And the soldier prays most earnestly for such solutions because soldiers are the first to respond when peace disappears.

I don't have a good solution. I wish I did. I just wish we could talk more. Jaw jaw is better than war war.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t

7777777

I close my eyes All I see is you When I wake in the morning My thoughts are of you You are in my soul Like a ray of sunshine Or a heavenly angel You are all I want All I need More than my next breath I cannot live without you Any more than a fish can live outside water My heart aches when we're apart And when I lie down at night My arms ache to hold you I am weak I cannot continue And then you come to me With sunlight in your eyes I know it's a dream But it's my fondest wish I feel you in my arms again And it is sweet Like heaven I love you. Mon ami.