Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

This is not going to be one of my normal posts. If that bothers you then please don't say you haven't been warned... ;-)

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've ever had a "normal" post.... LOL! I'm certainly not a "normal" dude, anyway.

I have been thinking a lot about what President Monson said in our last General Conference. He said that we need to foster an "attitude of gratitude." I was reminded strongly of the words of President Kimball spoken in a very similar setting. He said that we are very quick to express gratitude to those around us - the bank teller, the public servant, the guy who cuts the grass. But we are often remiss in our expressions of gratitude towards the great Source of all blessings. The scriptures are replete with the mandate to be grateful. Interestingly, with the proper attitude, even negative experiences can be things we are grateful for - once the experience is over, generally it is possible to identify growth that could not have come any other way. It is not reasonable to expect that one would be thankful while actually enduring said trial, but after it is over and the lessons have been learned, a careful examination of progression will demonstrate not only personal growth, but also (more importantly) the fact that we were not abandoned - in fact, we were carried - through the experience.

In teaching my children how to pray, I find that it becomes easy to skip past the "thankful" part of the prayer and move right on into the "please grant us" portion. This should not be! I have challenged my children (and my self) to try to remember at least five things in each prayer for which we are grateful. Certainly each prayer should include at least that number.... I have found to my delight that they are able not only to come up with the requisite five things, but often it brings to their remembrance many other things that the Lord has done. And more importantly, it helps us throughout our day look for blessings we've received, enhancing the feeling of humility, gratitude, and respect.

So today, ahead of Thanksgiving, I would like to express my gratitude for my five things:

1. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful to have a personal relationship with Him. I am grateful for the incredible and humbling Gift that is His Son. I am grateful for His mercy and love. I am grateful for His light and life. I am grateful for the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost. And I am grateful for the eternal plan of happiness, wherein I can return to live with Him forever. This is the fondest desire of my heart, surpassing any and all others, and filling my days with purpose and light and peace. The title of the blog is "Wandering with Purpose." This is the purpose.

2. I am grateful for opportunities to serve. Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is an amazing opportunity to associate with people who are like-minded and -centered. It doesn't matter where you go in the world, you are a part of an immense organization of Saints who love you, need you, want you, and whom you can serve and be served by. These people become friends and family, closer and more intimate than any other associates one could ever hope for. The Gospel affords us these opportunities, and I am grateful for them.

3. And speaking of family... You know, you don't get to pick your family. There's only one that you get to pick - your spouse. Everyone else is assigned to you. I have been blessed beyond any capacity to understand or merit. My family - immediate and extended - are the finest people I know. They have been true and supportive through all of my life, even when I have been ugly or disappointing. It is awesome to consider that we are destined to be together as a family forever - that these associations we have now are just the beginning - and an imperfect one at that! One day we will look at each other as we really are: glorified, exalted beings who are radiant and wonderful. It is an intense honor and privilege to be associated with such amazing faithful people.

4. I am grateful to love and be loved. There is much that I would say about this, but I think that that statement will suffice. I will let you fill in the gaps with your own experience.

5. I am grateful for mundane comforts. When I embarked on my current vocation, it was not without some trepidation. I could never have guessed what the future would bring. I was offered a position with a private firm which would have potentially been more lucrative, but in which I would not have had opportunities to serve and lead in the way I would like. It was a hard decision, but it was the right one. So I turned down the job, which ended up being fortuitous (I knew the guy they hired in my place and he lasted about six weeks before the downturn in the economy caught up to him and he was let go). My life has taken me places that are surprising and wonderful (I'm in TEXAS, for crying out loud!!!) and in all of this I have felt the hand of the Lord guiding me and placing me where He wants me to be - for no one's benefit than my own. Our family has been blessed because of our willingness to follow the gentle promptings given from the Lord. So when I acknowledge my gratitude for the mundane comforts, I mean literally the comforts associated with a comfortable, stable financial condition, but I also acknowledge the great Source from which these and all other blessings flow.

OK - so there's the five. It's a little bit of a cheat - there were things in there that could have been broken out into several different things, I guess. But I hope that the point is not lost with all the excessive circumlocution...

Life is good. God is good. I am so very, very grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t