Skip to main content

To be obedient...


Obedience is something I struggle with. I am good for the first little while but staying the course on a long-term goal is difficult for me. I find my interest wanes and I struggle to stay on task. I prefer tasks that are quick and easy to accomplish. I don't think I'm alone in that, but it's something I wish I could do better.

President Banks, our new Stake President, has asked us to re-read the Book of Mormon before our next stake conference (in six months). He suggested that we also keep a record of our feelings and inspiration as a result of this study. This is something I think I would like to do. I am going to try daily to keep a record of my impressions as I read the Book of Mormon and would invite any of you who are interested to follow along. I am going to take weekends off because I don't have internet at home. I am also not going to be perfect at this, but I am going to do my level best.

To start off, I have read the Book of Mormon almost daily (again, I'm not perfect!) since I was 14 years old. Thus, I am very familiar with the Book and the various messages it contains. I am in no way an expert on the Book, nor should any of my thoughts/feelings be construed to be anything other than the ramblings of my own mind. But I like to share - sharing is caring, after all!

So, today I started in 1st Nephi, chapter 1. I will not relate the history of the translation of the Book at this time, trusting that you can look that up and that I will allude to it in future posts. But it is amazing to me that we even have this Book in the first place. Nephi is writing to us and to his children, leaving us a tangible record of what transpired in his life. His object is none other than to prove to us how good God has been to him in his life so we can start to recognize the same patterns in our own lives.

He (Nephi) starts out talking about his parents and his life in Jerusalem. His father was a good man, his mother a good mother, and similar to other Old Testament era folks, they are real people. That's one of the reasons why I love the stories from the Old Testament so much - these folks are REAL - they are human and earthy, full of problems, issues, and frailties that come with existence on this sphere. And yet they overcome, securing the love and blessings of the Lord for themselves and their posterity. Incidentally, I think that the number one commentary on the Old Testament is the Book of Mormon. If you want to understand the Old Testament better, read the Book of Mormon and compare and contrast the doctrines that are contained within them.

One of the things that has always struck me about this chapter is how much Lehi (Nephi's father) talks about the greatness of the Lord and His unfathomable mercy. Lehi sees in vision the destruction of the great city of Jerusalem. He sees the deaths of many of the people who live there, and the captivity and diaspora of the rest. And yet, he repeatedly mentions how merciful God is! Does that seem a little incongruous to anyone else?!?

I think back to the time of the flood (Noah) where only a very few people were saved from the destruction of the deluge. I think think of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, where the entire region was burned. I think of the destruction found in the Book of Mormon, including the Jaredites, the destruction surrounding the events of the death of the Savior, and the ultimate destruction of the Nephites. I also ponder the incredible destruction taking place in the last 100-150 years (starting with the Civil War and continuing on today), the famines and ethnic violence, the millions suffering in intellectual darkness and devastating poverty across the world. And I wonder at the term "mercy" when contemplating this...

It seems to me that the Lord is merciful. His mercy is excellent and pure, and we cannot understand all of the reasons for His actions. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. His ways are more excellent than our own. Therefore, we cannot even begin to comprehend all of what His purposes are and how He will bring them about.

There are a few things I know for sure:

1. He loves us.

2. He has shown us, individually and collectively, great mercy in the past.

3. The ultimate expression of His love and mercy is the sacrifice of His Son, atoning for our sins and making it possible to return to live with Him forever in a perfected and glorified state.

4. That all things are done in His wisdom and according to His plan.

This, I feel, is what ultimately leads one to praise God for His tender mercies. He is merciful. He wants us all to have a chance to return to live with Him, regardless of our circumstances. He is kind, just, and loving. We can have confidence in Him and in His ability to fulfill His plan for the salvation of His children (all of us!). I believe this is what lead Lehi to exclaim his love for God and his appreciation for the mercy He extends to all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t