Skip to main content

Go back where?!?

So there they were, having a good time, enjoying the desert air, when suddenly they get directed to go back to Jerusalem after the brass plates. Laman and Lemuel, who ironically didn't even want to be there in the first place, now don't want to leave... Nephi heads the trek back to get the plates. You know the story...

Interesting insights in today's reading include:

1. Nephi must repeatedly convince/persuade/cajole his brothers into keeping the commandments. This must get irksome after a while, especially after they had been beating him with a stick...

2. Laban is a bad dude. The things he does - lying, stealing, attempted murder - are all capital crimes in traditional Judaic law. It has been suggested that the brass plates were not his, per se, anyway, and that he was just a care taker. This makes sense then, since their first approach was to just go and ask him if they could have them.

3. Could you kill someone if directed by the Spirit? I hope I never have to find out. And if I do, I hope I have the kind of relationship with the Lord that I am pretty darn sure that He wants me to do the deed. Otherwise - there's just no way... Which leads to another question - there's nothing more basic in Judeo-Christian morals and norms than "Thou shalt not kill." And yet, here's Nephi being told that's what he had to do. Is this one of those "killing in wartime or in battle is OK" kinds of things? We know that Laban was a bad dude, and the crimes he committed made him worthy of the death penalty. We also know that death is not the end of existence - indeed, the only prerequisite for death is birth - but was this really necessary? Did Laban pose a great threat to the escaping Lehi, et al? I don't know. These are things that linger in the back of my mind each time I read the account. I don't know that I could do what Nephi was asked to do. He writes that he did it only with the greatest reluctance, and after having been repeatedly constrained by the Spirit...

4. The passage about Zoram is interesting. The impressment of Zoram into the crowd following Lehi into the desert is later used as an excuse for the dissenting Zoramites to peel off from the main stream Nephites and do their own thing. But the record seems to indicate that Zoram was happy to head out from Jerusalem. It is also interesting that their promises to each other should carry such weight - when Zoram promises to go with them, their fears concerning him cease. Such integrity seems to be sorely lacking in our world - we have to get things notarized and signed and credit checked and background checked and everything - just to get a loan or a job or whatever. I think that these are probably good developments in our society, protecting lender and borrower alike. But I long for a time when things were simpler and people more trustworthy.

Comments

Deb said…
The story of Laban and the Brass Plates is one of my husband's major sticking points with the Book of Mormon. Of course, having grown up with it, it never occurred to me that there was anything "wrong" with the story, but he has a big problem with the Lord asking someone to break a commandment, especially a commandment like "Thou shalt not kill." So, even the story is a test of faith, I think.

But the question: could I do it? I don't know. I'd like to think that I could, if the Lord required it of me, but I really have no idea.
Bill Cobabe said…
I can (obviously) completely understand. My only response is that we were not there. We don't know (except for what was given in the record) about the debate and feelings Nephi must have had... An incredibly intense and serious conversation between him and the Lord must have taken place, and the Lord DID constrain him to do it. I'm sure it was difficult, nonetheless. Further, as I mentioned, according to he strict law of Moses, he was worthy of death - attempted murder, stealing, and even lying were capital offenses.

Moses killed the Egyptian overseer. Of course, that was prior to the actual receipt of the 10 commandments, but I think that it is generally understood that killing someone is never a good thing. It brings up the whole debate about capital punishment, too, because if it's wrong to kill someone ever then perhaps capital punishment is not good, also. Personally, I don't like capital punishment, and I think we are too cavalier about offing someone. But I think that a lifetime in prison may be worse than death. And I think that (with the proper perspective) death is nothing to be feared but a transition into the next sphere. It still doesn't sit very well with me, but it makes it easier for me to accept the death penalty...
Joanna said…
The Jewish leadership, of which Laban was a part, had made it their business to be sure that nobody got a copy of the law. That was part of how they stayed in power. The Savior tells of these men when He says that they wouldn't go into the Kingdom of Heaven but they won't let anyone else go in either. He calls them blind guides, I believe. He also called them "whitened sepulchres", beautiful without but rotting within. As to whether Laban's death was necessary, the Lord tells us exactly what the situation was. "Better that one man should perish" than an entire nation fall into darkness.
Imagine if Nephi had just left Laban drunk on the ground, 'borrowed" his armor and gotten the plates. Laban wakes up and what happens? He pursues Lehi's family into the wilderness which was already alive with both Egyptian and Babylonian patrols as well as native peoples ready to ingratiate themselves with either side by selling a rich family from Jerusalem to the first available side. (Egypt and Babylon were preparing war. Lehi and his family got out just in time. Zedekiah, king of the Jews, was a technical vassal of Babylon but had made an alliance with Egypt. As you can imagine, Neb. with no sense of humor at all, was not a happy camper. That's why Jerusalem was sacked.) That's why Lehi and his family had to travel in the wilderness without fire.
Anyway, if Nephi was to get the plates, it had to be over Laban's dead body because Laban made it that way.
Bill Cobabe said…
Interesting insight, Sis. Gould. Reminds me a lot of the early Christian leadership who felt that the Bible was too sacred a work to go to just anyone, and that people would not understand the things written in it unless they had the priests there to explain it...

I think that the historical context helps to understand a lot of what Nephi was dealing with. He's one of the few in the Book of Mormon that we can identify with - the rest of the Book of Mormon has its own unique culture - albeit one that grew out of the Jewish culture/religion.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t