Skip to main content

Don't know much about...


One of the dangers we are repeatedly warned about in the scriptures is that of the pride that comes with learning. To wit:


2 Nephi 9:


27 But wo unto him that has the law given, yea, that has all the commandments of God, like unto us, and that transgresseth them, and that wasteth the days of his probation, for awful is his state!
28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.
29 But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.


Further:


2nd Timothy 3:


1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.


I particularly like that last verse - "ever learning, but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." It so full of despair and despondency and frustration.


In my years spent at the University of Utah I was impressed with the level of thinking on which these people were able to operate. Extremely intelligent, but lacking a certain light. I am not sure if you know what I mean by lacking a certain light. There is a perceptible light in many people, a light that comes from within them that shines in their eyes and faces and countenances. It is glorious and beautiful. It is the very light of God and Christ, and it illuminates and refines and dignifies. It speaks of faith and purity and strength of character. It is the most attractive thing on the earth. We all desire to be around those kinds of people because of their inherent quality and goodness.


These professorial types, these intelligentsia, they have so much potential but no light. I am not sure at what point the scales get tipped and the light becomes diminished, but I imagine that it is a rather gradual process. I don't think someone wakes up one morning and says - that's it. I don't believe in God anymore. I don't believe in religion - it's just an opiate for the masses. I, I am above all of that. I know what I know and that precludes me from belief in a God - any god. The only thing I can trust is myself and my own learning. It is not reasonable or logical to believe in miracles, priesthood, God or heaven, salvation or exaltation. The rites and rituals are good for those who are of lesser intelligence. But for me, I know better.


In all honesty, I felt myself starting to slip into this category. I started to feel the pull of the logic and reason against my faith. It began rather simply - we are taught to be respectful and tolerant to other's points of view. In learning about these things, I was able to see how other's viewpoints may be valid and how my own must look compared with them. The carefully erected forms and defenses I had built for myself began to be undermined by the most insidious means - that of the gentle persuasion, the thoughtful and respectful argument, and the logical application of reason - such as it is. It was a very valiant effort on the part of the Adversary. He is well practiced at this kind of deception.


Interestingly, what gave me hope and strength in this time of struggle was three things. First, I looked at our prophet. President Hinckley was an intelligent man, as are all the leaders of our Church. Yet they are faithful and diligent. They are not lead by the whims of men, but are built upon the Rock.


Second, I remained true to my covenants and strove to read the scriptures and pray daily. It is no small thing. In this case, it literally saved me. I was able to be with the Spirit and feel His care and love. There's just no substitute for that. It cannot be faked or reasoned away. It just is. In connection with that, I also drew much strength from the hymns of the Church. Whenever I sing hymns, whether in my mind or out loud, I remember my mother singing hymns in Church. She seemed to know all of the hymns by heart (an appropriate phrase!) and it was lovely to listen to her sing praise to the Lord. She's a faithful and intelligent woman, and she knows it's true.


Third, I had conversations with my father. My dad has always been an incredible counsellor to/for me. When I struggle, somehow he always knows EXACTLY what I need to hear. We discussed these things at length. He never made me feel bad about my struggling, but supported me and showed me in his gentle and loving way how these things are not new. He pointed out that scripture in 2 Timothy to me, noting how Paul was talking about OUR day. Indeed, he was talking to me. Dad pointed out that these people think that they're just a little better than the rest of us. Their knowledge allows them to smile at us in our dependent condition and feel secure in their wisdom and knowledge. He said that it is foolish to rely on our own brains or on the learning of men. There are some things that require faith and that faith does not make us weak - quite the contrary. Learning to rely on a perfect Heavenly Father makes us more powerful than we could ever be by ourselves. As usual, he was right on.


And I think of the hymn:


O Ye Mountains High, no. 34


1. O ye mountains high, where the clear blue sky

Arches over the vales of the free,

Where the pure breezes blow and the clear streamlets flow,

How I’ve longed to your bosom to flee!

O Zion! dear Zion! land of the free,

Now my own mountain home, unto thee I have come;

All my fond hopes are centered in thee.


2. Tho the great and the wise all thy beauties despise,

To the humble and pure thou art dear;

Tho the haughty may smile and the wicked revile,

Yet we love thy glad tidings to hear.

O Zion! dear Zion! home of the free,

Tho thou wert forced to fly to thy chambers on high,

Yet we’ll share joy and sorrow with thee.


3. In thy mountain retreat, God will strengthen thy feet;

Without fear of thy foes thou shalt tread;

And their silver and gold, as the prophets have told,

Shall be brought to adorn thy fair head.

O Zion! dear Zion! home of the free,

Soon thy towers shall shine with a splendor divine,

And eternal thy glory shall be.


4. Here our voices we’ll raise, and we’ll sing to thy praise,

Sacred home of the prophets of God.

Thy delivrance is nigh; thy oppressors shall die;

And thy land shall be freedom’s abode.

O Zion! dear Zion! land of the free,

In thy temples we’ll bend; all thy rights we’ll defend;

And our home shall be ever with thee.

Comments

Bill

Did I say that? I think you may have paraphrased (improved) it a bit.

The only smart thing I am consistently sure I did was to marry your mother.

Anyway, you are right, we are all weak, and the Lord made us that way so we could come to understand how much we need him. Choosing to do things His way is what we came here to learn, and is the only path to lasting peace and happiness.
Bill Cobabe said…
Yes, pop. You did. You have your moments. They're like shining stars in the heavens. I cherish each and every one of them... Thanks for always being there for me. You're everything a kid needs for a dad.

It's the choice part that's hard. Sometimes I think it would be easier if the choice were taken away. But then I realize that it's not meant to be easy, but to be educational and formative. Interestingly, if God knows the end from the beginning, perhaps we're here to prove to OURSELVES that we can do it - make good choices and bear responsibility for poor ones... For therein lies peace and happiness...
LivingstonClan said…
You know, I have these same questions often times. It's one of those things that's hard to admit out loud, but is there nagging in the background somewhere. Then I go to the temple, and the amazing peace there is unmistakeable (SP I know!) Just this last weekend we went while we were up in Idaho (thanks mom & dad) and it helped me a ton with my recent personal struggles. I felt overwhelmed with LOVE several times, especailly in the Celestial Room. Mike and I discussed on the long drive home how we would feel if it came to the END, and it was just that. How blessed are we to have hope. Love you. And ditto about dad being an excellent counsellor. He should pursue THAT one.
Bjorge Queen said…
Bill, you're a good egg. A rare breed.
I think your problems started when you decided to attend the U of U instead of BYU. What did you expect? LOL.
I found I could realate to a lot of what you said. Maybe my end result was not your desired end result. But I wish you the best where that is concerned.
I brouse your blog now and then because there is usually something interesting and thought provoking to read. As usual, you did not disappoint.
Bill Cobabe said…
Lindsey - please continue to question. Brother Joseph set the example for all of us when he walked into the woods in faith to ask a question. And oh what a glorious answer! The key is faith - faith assumes there's an answer and if we're patient we'll get it.

Amy - thank you, my friend. I wish only the best for you. I would never claim to know what's best for you - that's very personal. But as long as we can be friends it seems that little else matters.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t