Skip to main content

How I got where I am today...

If you would have asked me what I wanted to be when I was a senior in HS I would have said an OB/GYN. Some parts of the job are less appealing, but the idea of helping women bring children into the world is infinitely interesting. The Lord had other plans for me, and they caught up to me despite my best efforts (not unlike Jonah...)

In signing up for the military, I wanted to be trained as a hospital corpsman. These are the rough equivalent to the combat medic of the Army. My thinking was that it would be good experience for my eventual medical training. There were no positions for this job available when I signed up in the Construction Battalion (the SeaBees - Hoo-rah!). This decision put into effect a course of action that has led me to where I am today.

In the SeaBees, I was introduced to the world of construction and design. I have grown up in a home where I was constantly in contact with construction - my father, grandfather, and even great-grandfather were plumbers and worked in construction most of their lives. I noted then, as I noted when at job sites, that there were people who were dirty and working hard, and there were people who were not dirty and always looked professional. These were the engineers and designers, and this is what I decided I would like to become. So when I returned to BYU it was with the intention of studying Civil Engineering.

After my mission this was still the plan. In order to pursue this course, however, I decided to take a class on architecture to fulfill the requirement for a humanities elective. I did this in the hope that there would be some relation to what I would eventually pursue as my career. This course further changed my life. There was something in the soaring artistry and beauty and glory of architecture that spoke to my soul - and still does.

So after my wife completed her studies in Michigan, I applied to the University of Utah intending to study architecture. I completed required preliminary coursework and was accepted to the College of Architecture. My undergraduate studies were a constant struggle - I realized early on that I, like Salieri, was able to appreciate the finer aspects of architecture but had no talent for creating the beauty that I desired. This is a hard thing for me to accept - but it doesn't make it any less true for being difficult. I was perpetually frustrated in my efforts to achieve even a modicum of what others were seemingly effortlessly able to perform.

I applied to the graduate school of architecture to complete my studies, but not with much real hope. At that point, a professor I respected a great deal, Ryan Smith, told me I ought to consider the idea of getting my Master's degree in Urban Planning. It is taught in the same school, and was an easy transition. But I wanted to be an architect! I wanted it so much... But if I were an architect, it would have been a frustrating exercise - as I said, I have no real talent for architecture... An appreciation, yes; an ability to produce, no.

So I started to explore urban planning. The more I found out about it, the more I became interested - especially in the realm of being able to affect good urban design. Architects are important, but they are governed by regulations that are generated by planners in many cases. So it is important to have someone generating the regulations that appreciates architecture and what it can do for the built environment of the city.

It would also mean that I could be a leader almost instantly. Architecture is dominated by older professionals who want the glory without having to do the mundane work. But planners are effective from the beginning, able to affect plans for the cities they work for instantly. Further, it is a more family-friendly environment, one where I can spend more time with my children while they are young... Architecture would have demanded long hours, especially in the first years.

I hope this is not sounding like sour grapes. Certainly I struggle with the way my life has gone - I would have never picked this for myself. But I am pleased with where I am, now. I can see the hand of the Lord in this - partially because of how great my life is, but also because it's not what I would have chosen for myself.

I am grateful for this. I am able to serve better and more efficiently in the Church because I am available to do so. I am able to help create laws that will effect people on a large scale. I am a leader in the community, and able to serve people at large. And my family doesn't have to be reintroduced to me every time a project is over. Life is truly good - I have been greatly blessed. I can't wait to see what happens in the future! Stay tuned.

Comments

Jeanette said…
Great story, I have always wondered how you ended up being a city planner.

And I agree, whatever we have planned for ourselves, the Lord puts us where he needs us most.
LivingstonClan said…
So I just have to say--sure do miss you! Last night we weer reading the book that Elise gave to Bailey for Christmas, and my kids asked who Elise was! Sad that they are forgetting! We loved it when you guys were close, although we did take it for granted. Love you brother of mine! I am glad you found you niche in life--just wish it was a little closer to us.
Sarah G said…
There is a saying out there that says something to the effect of "don't waste time trying to master what you're not good at, instead find your talent and follow your heart, it will undoubtedly lead you to success" Now that I think of it, I believe that I read this in a fortune cookie, still though, it's the best advise I've been given yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t