Skip to main content

An appropriate alternative to the Gulch

I can envision a world where there is no money.

Really, it's not that far away... When was the last time you actually used cash? And really, the bank notes that we call cash has only the value assigned to it based on a psychological measure that is at times very arbitrary... I get paid via direct deposit and never see my money. It's given and used electronically. The only time I actually even write a check is to pay tithing or pay random people (piano lessons, for example). Other than that, it's all debit card and direct deposit. Money is a surreal thing, an electronic transfer...

What capitalists fail to recognize is that it is not the accumulation of wealth that perpetuates our society - it's the distribution and flow of wealth. Thus, having more people with greater amounts of discretionary income allows for a stronger base for the economy - more people buying more, creating jobs and demand for goods. One person with all the money can only buy so much before it becomes impossible and impractical. It is this way with so many things in life - the more you give away the more you find flowing back to you... And the more you hoard the less powerful and influential you find yourself (the richest man in the graveyard, unmourned, unknown, and unremembered). Greed is inherently anti-social.

But I digress...

I imagine a world without cash registers. Stores, warehouses, shops, etc, are stocked with everything you need and want. You simply go and get what you need or want. You go to work and do your job to the best of your ability, doctors, gardeners, rocket scientists, baseball players, plumbers, architects, artists, everyone. Just like now. You do your job. The difference is you don't get a paycheck. Instead, you go to the store and get what you need. Everyone works hard, knowing that their place in the world is safe.

What would motivate someone under such a system?

That question reveals the amount of greed that has crept into our society. People cannot envision a world where people are motivated by anything but financial reward. This really plays to the lowest and basest aspects of humanity.

I suggest that there is a higher motivation: love. I know it sounds trite, but hear me out...

Imagine, just imagine, a world where you go to work because you love it. You know that what you are doing helps people all over the world. Maybe you make Christmas ornaments. Or you make bolts that fasten seatbelts to cars. Or you help design homes and buildings. Or you build them. Or you clean bathrooms, providing a clean and safe place for people to take care of that need. And in return, you benefit from the labors of others similarly motivated - your children need shoes? No problem - just go and get them. You get sick? No problem. You have a doctor who is motivated to treat you to the best of his ability not because of the huge paycheck but because he loves you. And you doctor's needs are being met by millions all similarly motivated.

No greed or poverty. Everyone has access to whatever they need.

No theft or crime. Why steal from another if you can get anything you want or need just by going to get it?

What about those who do not produce?

Well, what about them? There are many reasons why someone would not want to participate in production. Such reasons may include things like disability or age. But that's not a problem because people love each other and recognize the worth of each soul, regardless of ability.

But what about those who refuse to work at all?

Again, what is YOUR motivation? Why are you so worried about what someone else does or doesn't do?

But I think that in this kind of circumstance people will want to work. I have a (perhaps naive) belief in the goodness of people. I believe that people want to work. There is a pride and satisfaction that comes at the end of the day of hard working... That feeling cannot be found in other places.

I don't know how it would all work. I don't know how I would distribute the labor, but I imagine that people will be able to find jobs that they like and feel comfortable doing. I could never be a doctor (too gross), for example. And I know that many people couldn't do what I do (too tedious). But my job is just as important and meaningful as the plumber or doctor or scientist. We're all in this together...

Like I said earlier, we're not that far from this point anyway. It's a complete paradigm shift in our motivation, though.

I try to teach my son the difference between a slave, a servant, and a friend. A slave does things because he is motivated by fear - fear of punishment or other retribution. A servant does things in expectation of some reward - financial or otherwise. But a friend is motivated out of love to do things for others. The task is the same. The receiver is the same. The difference is in the attitude and the motivation.

Maybe I am a dreamer. But it's a happy place where I am...

Comments

Jeanette said…
I think you are forgetting all the souls who are perpetually lazy and would have no guilt over sitting back and letting others carry the load, which would eventually breed resentment (Look at all the people who are currently so incensed over the Hispanic population drawing benefits for example) and they would then say "So if they get a free ride, why can't I? I think it would be a very short ride before your civilization crashed in a burning heap (Or a massive, and very bloody war).

There needs to be accountability, and that is money. I don't think money is so much a reward as it is accountability, proof that you have done your share for society, that you have pulled your load and therefore get to partake of the benefits.

I for example, really enjoy working, but I don't enjoy working nearly as much as I enjoy being with my family, my children, and if I was not held accountable for doing my share, I would be home with my children. I would not send my children to a sitter and work if I had another option, and I think there are many, many people like that, that would give up contributing to society if they had a choice to be with their families instead.

And I don't think that your society would negate greed either, but possibly perpetuate it. If people could walk into a store and take whatever they wanted, greed would blossom out of control. I do believe that eventually people would come to realize that bigger, better, newer, isn't always the best option, but I don't think such a society would ever last long enough for that realization to come about.

I don't know, maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I don't see such a society ever being a possibility.
Bill Cobabe said…
Your points are well reasoned. I don't have an argument with anything you wrote... But like I wrote, I agree that work for reward is a certain type of motivation. But I think that there is a higher motivation - one that speaks to the nobler parts of our being... If I love you, I am less concerned about how much you work than what I can do to help you. If everyone feels the same way, who would want to be lazy?

I know it's a dream with little chance of fruition. But a man can dream, can't he?
Lara Neves said…
THought I'd click over from facebook...read what this was all about.

It is a noble dream. The natural man in us will never allow it to happen and jeanette has some great points. But still noble, and there's no reason we can't hope for it. :)

PS: People pay me in cash about 50% of the time for voice lessons and photo shoots. Perhaps it's just a small town thing

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t