Skip to main content

In the Jailhouse...

We took the Young Men in our ward to the Weber County Correctional Facility last night. It was a humbling, terrifying, and incredible experience, one I won't soon forget.

My first thought was that it was a nicer facility than what I experienced in boot camp. The prisoners were generally treated better and the facilities themselves were better quality.

We entered through the booking area. There were cells of men (they were all men at that time) who were waiting for processing. The looks of utter and abject failure, disappointment, and fear were almost palpable. They sat in their holding cells, looking straight ahead or down at their shoes. For these guys, their time in jail was just beginning, and the future looked very bleak indeed.

We went next to the high-security area, holding the most violent criminals. These men (we went to the men's section first) had done all kinds of aggravated crimes, including murder, assault, and rape. They were only let out of their cells for one hour every other day, and only allowed "outside" for one hour every other week. I say "outside" like that, because their exercise yards are concrete-enclosed pens with only a small view of the sky 20' over their heads, further enclosed by a steel beam and mesh roof that let in air and light but allowed no thought of escape. Even the smallest sparrow has more freedom than these men. I think that, above all else, is what would be the most difficult for me to deal with - not being able to see the sky...

But what bothered me the most was the women. The men were fairly stereotypical criminals, whether they branded themselves that way or they felt like they had to adopt that kind of persona... But the women... They just looked like ordinary women. That may have been the hardest thing about the experience. What happened to these women? What turns had their lives taken to land them here? I'm not sure if it's sexist or not (please forgive me if it seems that way) but I think it's easier for me to envision men as criminals, rather than women. I know - that's at least terribly naive. And it's probably wrong as well to imagine that criminals look anything different. All I can say is that I was shocked. And dismayed. And hurt. Like a deep, cutting, heart-wound that shook my soul. Of course, the number of women in the jail was vastly fewer than the number of men. But... oh, I don't know. I guess I didn't feel how strongly we as a society had gone wrong until I saw these women... I hope my thoughts and feelings can come across as I type this. It's very hard for me to describe, and I don't want to sound patronizing or sexist. It's just... It's rather put me out of sorts, and I'm not sure how to process it. I mean, of course (!) there are women who are criminals. One of the women in the jail had murdered her girlfriend, stabbing her repeatedly. Clearly this kind or person is dangerous and should be confined and separated from the rest of society. But the main body of women - those who were in for drug possession or theft or other, lesser crimes... they just looked like people you'd see in the grocery store, or in the library, or at church... And it really, really bothered me. A lot. So much so that I am struggling with what to think and how to feel.

Sigh.

People make bad decisions in their lives. I have, although my poor decisions have not landed me in jail. It is interesting to think of how life could lead people - people who are otherwise generally good, honest people - to end up someplace like that. And, more importantly, what can we as a society do to help...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t