Skip to main content

Syria

I've been following with some interest the events taking place in Syria. I don't like the way things are shaping up. It was easier to understand before the chemical weapons were used. Now, it's gone to a whole new and unpleasant level. Not that war is ever pleasant, mind. But weapons of mass destruction? The use of those kinds of weapons is just beyond the pale.

I know. The US dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I know about the incendiary bombs used in WWII and subsequent conflicts. I know about the Agent Orange and napalm and all the rest. I also know that the US is one of the few countries on earth that still hasn't signed the landmine treaty. I also acknowledge the fact that a couple of young men piloting a drone from thousands of miles away can deliver weapons on target in a way that jeopardizes only the targets (and those unfortunates who happen to be in the area). That last one bothers me in a way that none of the rest do, frankly. There's just something obscene about it.

The American Civil War was the first truly modern war. Up to that point, war had really changed little from the time Caesar crossed the Rubicon. With the advent of rapidly reloading weapons, enhanced ballistics, and high explosives, the death toll was really like nothing we'd ever seen. Up to that point, the dead and wounded were numbered in the thousands (not to downplay the significance of any casualty, of course). But in the Civil War, things changed. Now we numbered the dead in hundreds of thousands. WWII was the costliest war, with over a million US lives affected (wounded or killed). The Civil War remains the costliest, however, in terms of overall population. Nearly 2 percent of the population perished. Further, there were nearly 600 deaths per day, while in WWII there were nearly 400.

Now, thanks to superior firepower and defensive measures, the war on terror has claimed only about 1 1/2 lives per day. Again, I don't wish to downplay the significance of any life lost - each is precious and valuable, and the loss is really immeasurable. But our modern warfare is very different, at least on our side. Which is good for us.

And not so good for the opposing force.

But what does this mean for us, in a geopolitical sense? The middle east is, and has ever been, a complete hotbed of contention. Nations fighting over tiny bits of land FOREVER. Religions feeling like they have a divine mandate to exterminate all opposition. People growing up in environments of hatred and malice towards one another, all within such an incredibly close proximity, and all for such an incredibly long time...

It's difficult to fathom, really.

Russia doesn't want us there, but its motives are not clear and therefore suspect. The Arab League apparently favors some sort of intervention, but what and how long? And how will Iran and other countries feel about that? Will they use this as an excuse to attack Israel, which they are spoiling to do anyway?

Hence the need and desire to stay out of these kinds of imbroglios in the first place.

I don't know what's going to happen. I wish Pres. Obama hadn't said the line about, well, the line. Although it's clear that he had to say something, and that he's being pressured to take a stance, it makes it now our place to do something, or appear ineffective. Besides, using chemical weapons on one's own citizens really is beyond the pale.

Sigh.

It's going to be interesting.


Comments

lillysmum said…
Syria is a mess. The whole Middle East is a mess. My gut instinct is that we should stay strictly out of it, but how can we? There are so many possible repercussions to getting involved and an equal number of staying out of things. Our own country is a bit of a mess, who are we to poke our noses into someone else's business, but on the other hand, there are lines we can't allow to be crossed, right? We can't just sit back and watch them destroy themselves. Crimes against humanity and all that. I don't know, really.
In other news, I KNEW that clip would be there.
Bill Cobabe said…
Of course that clip would be there. And naturally you knew it would. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t