Skip to main content

Making sense...

Some things just do not make sense.

With the tragedy that has happened in Boston, one must reflect on the nature of insensate evil. One is often brought to question why a merciful, loving Heavenly Father allows this kind of thing to happen. Surely He could have intervened. Surely He loves His children and wants what's best for all of us. Surely He is good and kind and powerful.

President Kimball spoke to this. Yes, He COULD do something to intervene, but He DOES NOT always, and certainly not in the manner we would chose.

We live in a world that is - by its very nature - evil, depraved, and getting worse. There is so much that is evil. So much of a pervasive undercurrent of bad/wrong/evil/ugliness. It seems that it would pull us down into a cesspool of apathy, or worse - fear and distrust.

It does not have to be that way.

While there is certainly much that is evil in the world, there is also much that is good, wholesome, and nurturing. Interestingly, some of that is only ever visible in times of crisis. The outpouring of love and help and generosity that comes in times of crisis like this demonstrate how much good there really is in the world, much more so than the taint of evil that exists. It would be a disservice to ourselves and the world we live in to focus solely on the negative when there is so much that is good.

I was reminded recently of President Hunter speaking in the Marriott Center at BYU. My brother and I went to the fireside and we arrived a bit late. Just as we were finding a place to sit, a man came out of the audience and claimed he had a bomb. It turned out he was mentally deranged and he didn't actually have a bomb. But it was an example of how something that is evil can interrupt that which is good. Yet, as President Hunter's example showed, we can be steadfast and immovable and abounding in good works. President Hunter carried on to give the speech he'd intended, which, interestingly, was about overcoming adversity and negative inputs in our life. (LINK)

Life goes on. There is much to celebrate and emulate, much to learn and many areas in which to grow, contribute, and serve. It would be a shame to give in to the desire to wallow in despair. Hang in there. Be patient, humble, and look for the good. It's there.

I find much comfort in the following scriptures from the Doctrine and Covenants, Section 78:

17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;

18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.

 19 And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.

 20 Wherefore, do the things which I have commanded you, saith your Redeemer, even the Son Ahman, who prepareth all things before he taketh you;

 21 For ye are the church of the Firstborn, and he will take you up in a cloud, and appoint every man his portion.

 22 And he that is a faithful and wise steward shall inherit all things. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t