Skip to main content

Petal

My dearest love,

The stars lined up that day. I know it sounds cliche, but they really did. It was as if a thousand angels had worked a thousand years to make sure everything was just right. Their angelic wings touched everything, turning all into a dream of goodness, purity, and light.

But nothing could match the light that comes from your eyes, dear one.

Your eyes - so full of wonder and glory and joy. Your eyes - like pools of deepest contemplation. Your eyes - in which I find reflected all the hope I have for the future. I see the intelligence that brings light to my life, like a summer rain to desert landscapes. I see the hope that reaches across the chasm of the eternities and fills the immensity of space with light. I see, most precious to me, I see the love that is reserved only for me.

And it is wondrous to me.

Then you smile, a secret, sweet smile that warms my very soul. A smile - that simple gesture that means so much - a smile that breaks down years of unseen and unknown defenses. A smile that contains the very golden light of the sun, brighter and warmer than a summer's day, sweeter and more lovely than a gentle breeze full of honeysuckle perfume. Just a smile, in the way that a hurricane is just a storm.

My soul is reborn each time I even think of your smile.

Your touch is worth a thousand summer days laying warm in the sun, stretched out on a blanket on a vast sea of green, green grass. It is as though the power of a bolt of lightning had been tempered and sweetened to the point that one may endure - but only just. I feel your touch on my cheek, on my arm, on my chest, a touch I never knew, yet a touch that makes me feel home. Never did anyone feel so blessed by the noble, heavenly angel's wing.

I bemoan the frailties of human language which are at a complete loss to describe my feelings.

I love you. People say I love you all the time. Can these three words contain the universe of feeling that I have for you? Can you know what I mean when I say I love you? Is it possible for the immensity of the ocean to be contained in a mason jar? Could all of the sands of all the beaches and deserts be contained in one hour glass? As easily may the light of all the stars, all the photons ever emitted by all the stars that have ever been born, gone super nova, and faded away, be contained on a photographer's slide.

For two people to find each other, to love each other - this is truly sublime. This is the very presence of God Himself.

People say that feelings change over time. That passions fade. That love grows dim. That lovers grow old. That separation divides and removes and eliminates. Yet this is not possible. The time spent apart only serves to heighten and attenuate the longing, the bittersweet ache of desire, the raging fires of passion within, banked though they may be. Indeed, as Epicurus taught - we must sup at the table of life such that we find satiety, that when it is time to push away from this vast feast of feelings and experiences we have no regrets. Yet it is also important for us to experience times of hunger, of delayed satisfaction and gratification, that we may learn how sweet life really is.

And life with you is sweet, even when separated. Who can separate two hearts that beat as one?

The sum of all existence is this: to love, and to be loved. I love you. I am loved by you. This is my existence. This is who I am and who I always shall be. Nothing will change that. Tides come in and out, mountains arise and are worn down, and celestial events pass in a delirium of silence. All of these things shall pass away, but my love for you will always remain.

Please hear me. Please listen to my heart and know of the depth of my feeling. Please know I adore you with that love and adoration that is worshipful and sweet and overarching. I abase myself before the altar that is my love for you, forever and ever.

I love you.
Mon ami.

Comments

foxiecheese202 said…
I almost cried. Simply beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t