Skip to main content

Chapter 25

I was going crazy.

As surely as madness took Nemo, I felt myself slipping into a self-induced psychosis. I was no psychoanalyst, but I knew that some of the screws up in the old noggin were becoming loose. And I was scared.

Nothing in life is worse than finding yourself in a situation that you can do nothing about. I was trapped - as trapped as any mouse in any cage. Oh, I could move about within the confines of the underground compound. They left me pretty free reign to do anything I wanted and go anywhere I wished. But there were always cameras following me, always guards just around the corner, always something to remind me that I was an honored guest, but one with very limited freedoms.

I had taken to exercise, which at first seemed a good release of my pent-up energy, but later became as mundane and ritualistic as everything else here. Everything. Even my relationship with Janice, which was once so fulfilling, so pure, had become tainted by the intrusion of these men and their agenda. I was under no delusion that these men had their goals and that they were manipulating my sweet wife into performing all kinds of acts as a figurehead. I wished desperately there was some way I could waken her out of this hypnosis...

The only bright spot was my children. What scared me most, though, is what I knew they were teaching to his daughter. I'd seen how they treated her with a kind of reverence and awe. People fawning over anyone at such a tender age could have a profound and lasting impact. Just look at Janice...

My workouts had begun to extend for hours. There simply wasn't much else for me to do. I took long walks down corridors that seemed endless. Most of the doors leading off these corridors led to fairly ordinary places - offices, conference rooms, and the like. But a few I had come to know were more interesting. There was the control room, where there was a constant crew of men monitoring news reports. They were also monitoring cell communications of world leaders. From this room, they could access the microphone of any cell phone in the world and eavesdrop on the conversation happening anytime, anywhere. That part really creeped me out. It made me never want to use my cell phone ever again.

In another room was a massive laboratory. I'm not sure why they let me in this lab, except that what was going on in there seemed either too technical for me to understand - I'd barely passed my chemistry classes - or was relatively public knowledge. One thing that interested me was the solvent. If it was as powerful as they claimed, how were they able to even store it in anything?

"It was a problem we'd worked for a long time to figure out," the friendly technician responded. His name was Alex, and while no one was particularly rude, Alex would talk to me where the others wouldn't. I had tried asking him about his personal life - where he was from and all that - but he was pretty tight-lipped about that. He was very open, however, about his work. He seemed eager to share information about what he was doing at the lab.

"We found that with it's affinity for organic compounds and quartz, most plastics and even glass were not able to contain the particular mixture. Stainless steel is one of the easiest ways to contain it - it does not seem to dissolve alloyed metals easily. Applying it also brought challenges since spray bottles typically use rubber gaskets and plastic nozzles. There is only one type of plastic polymer that we've found that will work, so we've had to manufacture our own injection molds for plastic bottles and spray aerosols."

"Sounds pretty ticklish," I said, mostly to keep the conversation going.

"It is. We can only manufacture a small amount at a time, basically enough to fill that container over there," he said, indicating a large stainless steel cylinder in the corner of the room. There was a stainless steel fitting near the bottom ridge and a small tap. "When we are doing a dissolution project we access it there. There is a log for how much is removed so that when it gets low we can make up another batch."

"Where do you get the chemcials?" I asked.

Suddenly he turned wary. "That's not something you need to worry about," he said, his voice cold, his eyes distant.

I backpedaled quickly. "I just meant that in this remote location, and with all this secrecy, it's not like FedEx can show up and deliver a hundred gallons of whatever it is..."

His face stayed hard, but he said, "That's true. There are some difficulties and technical problems related to our remoteness. But suffice it to say that we can easily and quickly get almost anything we need..."

The way he left that last phrase hanging in the air reminded me that for all his supposed friendliness, he was part of the team. I knew how calculating and manipulative the team could be and I was anxious to not find out how far Alex could be pushed. I thanked him for his time and moved off.

The nagging thought that kept recurring to me, however, was the apparent dissatisfaction that he'd seemed to display. Perhaps there was some dissension in the ranks. Perhaps I could exploit that to my advantage...

I headed off to the gym, my mind in overdrive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t