Skip to main content

Lessons from Lot

So...

I know I said I wouldn't do this, but here's something that I've been thinking about this morning...

Money is really not all it's cracked up to be.

I mean, you have to have enough to pay for the things you need. You have to be able to provide well for your family, and building up a surplus is nice to help others around you. But I just don't think that it's the end all be all of human existence.

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that it is. Not really anyway.

But take a look at Lot. Lot and Abraham are living close together. Lot is Abraham's nephew, but they're really more like brothers and friends - they love each other like that. Abraham even goes to battle for Lot. There's a problem, though. They're both rich, and their cattle and servants are too crowded. So Abraham, out of a wise and generous heart, says - look, we're too good to fight about things. Let's divide up the land - you choose which side you want, and I'll take the other. Lot looks at the land and decides to take the lush, fertile lands near the Jordan River. Abraham gets what's left.

In choosing the easier land, in choosing the more desirable location, Lot opens himself up to all kinds of problems. His land is overrun several times by invading armies. He becomes a prisoner and loses much of his property. He becomes associated with disreputable people living in and around Sodom and Gomorrah. He eventually loses his home and his wife is turned to salt. He even ends up fathering children with his daughters. Yeah - life is not so good for Lot.

Abraham, meanwhile, is gaining favor from the Lord, being tested and found faithful. He obtains incredible blessings and covenants, things which are still in force today. His life is not easy, but it is full and rich and satisfying.

The pioneers of my ancestry were given much the same choice. People returning from Oregon and California in the mid 1800s told the trekking Saints that those locations were ideal for settlement - plenty of water, good soils, abundant resources. The journey was a little longer, but the effort was worth it. Brother Brigham, however, in his usual visionary way, indicated that the Lord had other things in store for them. They settled in the Salt Lake Valley and the land of the desert surrounding that area. It was much like Abraham deciding to let others have the land that was more desirable, hoping for some time to grow stronger by themselves in a mountain desert retreat. This was somewhat successful - they had a few years of relative isolation, and even after the exposure of outside influences they were able to develop a culture that was strong and cohesive. It is a legacy that we still enjoy today.

I have seen this in my own life, as well. It was not an easy decision for me to move to Texas. It was the right one, but it was not an easy one. We had things pretty good where we were. We had friends and neighbors who cared about us. Family was close by, and we enjoyed their association. The social environment was very congenial, and we liked the natural surroundings, too. Life was good and easy. Too easy. We were never required to leave our comfort zone. We contributed actually very little, because little was ever demanded from us. Now we are in a place where we can contribute much because that is what is needed. And although difficult and tiring at times, we also find ourselves stretched and strengthened by the work.

Sometimes the path we need in life is not the easy road. It seems that the blessings of eternity are often tied with the path of self denial and sacrifice and altruism. If we are to garner the great things of a celestial nature, we must learn to abandon selfish, worldly appetites. This is not easy, at least not initially. But the course becomes easier once resolved and embarked upon. We find ourselves perhaps more tested, but like the tempering of the forge, we find ourselves more useful and strong thereby.

Comments

angielove said…
With muscle, you do not gain strength without resistance. Packing on higher weights or doing more repetitions, adds resistance and therefore strength. In addition to this, the most productive part of a strength training exercise, where you gain the most muscle, is at the end. It comes at the point where you think that you cannot go on. Then you push and do a few more. At the very end, when your arms collapse under the weight, your spotter comes in and helps you place your bar back on the rack.

I seem to find that the way things work naturally repeat themselves. As it is in strength training, so it is in life. Good thing we have such a great spotter!
Bill Cobabe said…
Angie -

Agreed. I would only add that in addition to the Divine Spotter, we have many other spotters and people shouting encouragement as we strive for strength. People pray for strength and patience and then they're surprised when they face trials that help them develop those traits... Hmm....

Personally, I'm just praying to make it through each day... one day at a time! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t