Skip to main content

A moment of weakness

I am sad today.

I got some news last night that really disturbed me. Without going into details, I have been disappointed in the performance of someone I thought I knew. He wasn't close to me, but I was proud to see the progress he was making towards turning his life around. Then, in a moment of weakness, his life took a drastic change for the worse. And I am left wondering what leads to these momentary lapses in judgement.

I know there are medical reasons - chemical imbalances, for example - that lead people to do things they might not otherwise have done. For some reason, this seems to absolve people of a lot. If you are physically unable or unstable, people tend to forgive a lot easier.

I also know there are psychological reasons for people behaving badly. People have had atrocities happen to them or around them, which affects their ability to perceive and conduct their lives. They make judgements based on faulty input - their very input mechanism has been skewed towards distrust and disillusionment. These people are harder for us to understand, but somehow we judge them more rashly.

Sometimes the bad decisions are based on a little bit of both. The link between psychology and body chemistry is an interesting one, something I think we don't fully understand. I believe that such a link exists, however, and can affect the way we perceive the world.

But if that's true in a negative way, is it not also possible to affect one's decision making process in positive ways through positive experience? Why is it that one (or even a series) of negative experiences should overcome a lifetime of positive ones? I am not making a judgement here - I really don't understand these things.

I do understand the urge to succumb to weaknesses. We each have our moments of greatness. We each also unfortunately have our moments of weakness.

I believe in the power of forgiveness. It is a miraculous thing, one I think we are scarcely able to understand. It's also a power that I hope to experience continually in my life - on both sides of the equation. I desire more than anything to be forgiven, therefore I must forgive. Interestingly, forgiving others empowers me. It releases me from the bondage and damning emotions of fear, hatred, malice, and despair.

Comments

The thing about weakness is not that we have weaknesses (we all do) but that we were made weak. The Lord made us that way. (The actual statement is "I give unto men weakness that they may be humble."

Note that the statement is not about having weaknesses, but about weakness, a characteristic.

I know a bit about being weak from personal experience. And I have learned that by becoming humble the lord will make me stronger. Not yet perfect, but stronger. And as I get stronger my capacity to grow even stronger increases.

It is a slow process, with frequent backsliding and mistakes. But somehow these turn out to be good for us.

Amie just wrote on her blog about some ongoing physical problems she is having. I think these are part of the same process. We learn that it is actually OK in the long run to slip backwards sometimes, and that we will probably always have problems of different sorts, but as long as our general tendency is forwards. Probably better not to make the mistakes, but remember we ARE weak, and meant to be that way.

Through being weak we learn with absolute assurance that the only safety is in absolute obedience. And as we learn we become stronger.

One of the most important things to learn from all this is how much better off we are with family and friends who never give up on us. I do not have any idea where I would be now if Mom had quit on me. I do know that I will be eternally thankful that she did not. Lets all help each other to keep trying.

Dad
Bill Cobabe said…
It's true dad. Who else do we have if not each other?

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t