Skip to main content

Politics (sorry, Lindsey - at least I warned you)


This one makes me mad.
This is my sweets. She's six. First grade and all that. She thinks she's 18. Or maybe 21. Or 30.... She really wants to be involved, and she's really smart. I am very proud of her.
Yesterday in the evening we gathered around the radio to listen to the presidential debate. She noted my reactions to some of the comments and perceived that I was leaning toward Obama. After chiding me for my disparaging remarks about McCain, she asked if I was going to vote for Obama. I said yes, I probably am (I know that comes as a bif shock to all of you). She said, "Dad! You can't vote for him! He put a circle around the flag (?) and he didn't put his hand on his heart when he says the pledge of allegiance!" I said that I had heard that too, but where did she hear it? Yep, you guessed it - her school teacher. She was so mad and frustrated that she stormed off to her room in tears.
Well, I calmed her down and told her that the great part about living in America is that we can vote for whomever we want. I personally like Obama for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that he reminds me how great of a country this is - minority son of a single mother who worked his way through his life to get where he is now. I like his views on many issues, and others I am diametrically opposed to. But all in all, he represents (to me) what is good and right about America (hope, potential, work, faith, and the pursuit of the ideal). And I explained that while these are my ideas, that I am not in charge of your teacher, my wife, or my daughter - they can choose for themselves.
What makes me mad is that her teacher is talking about these kinds of things in the first place. I love that they are talking about politics. But talking about one person's actions to their detriment and promotion of another - especially a first grade teacher, who is in a position of authority for very young and impressionable minds - is not appropriate. I know that her teacher is young, and I certainly don't want to make it anything more than it is. But when my sweet little daughter, so innocent and so impressionable, runs from her father in tears because of something said at school, well, that makes me upset.
I told my daughter that if people were saying bad things about people then she should say that it's inappropriate and she doesn't want to hear that. After all, Jesus said love everyone, treat them kindly, too. When your heart is filled with love, others will love you.

Comments

LivingstonClan said…
OK, you did warn me, and it was not as bad as I thought. I totally agree that a first grade teacher should not be imposing her political views on her students. I would have liked to witnessed that scene at your house thoug, I love Elise! Look at those teeth--I cannot believe that. I too listened to the debate while I was at work, and I didn't catch every moment, but I am not as impressed with Obama as you are. (Shocking, I know) He just seems so "darn" arrogant, he spoke over Tom Brokow how many times? Rules don't apply to him, even if he agreed to them I guess. And I am glad he has made something for himself, coming from nothing and blah, blah, blah, but what is he ACTUALLY going to do for our country? One term in the Senate--I just don't know. I am worried that people are voting for his carisma, and the "idea" of Obama, not thinking about where we will all be in a few years if he does win. Love you!
Anonymous said…
Who cares about what you write! We finally get to see a picture of one of your kids!! Hooray...we thought that you had lost them or your camera...keep them coming...maybe some house pictures?

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t