Skip to main content

More on where I've been...

So, I realize that not many people are ever going to read this. That's OK. It's an exercise in faith and obedience, rather than having an actual purpose. Besides, I find it especially cathartic.

My young life was marked by moving. A lot. My father was (...thinking of the right way to put this...) somewhat of an entrepreneur. He was never satisfied with his current status and was always looking for something better. He did everything from milkman to real estate, plumbing to door-to-door salesman. He is a hard worker, which is something that I have learned from him and respect him a lot for. But we moved a lot. Before the time I was in fourth grade, we had moved about 11 times and I had attended 5 schools.

I didn't know any better, but longed for some real friends. I still wonder what happened to some of the kids I knew when I was growing up.

We finally ended up in Utah. I was so excited to be coming to Utah. At last, thought I, I wouldn't be the only Mormon kid in school. I had been to Utah before to visit my grandparents, and I was very excited to be going to Utah. The kids I had known were nice - not like the kids I knew in California (we used to take my dad's metal invoice boxes to school so the kids at the bus stop wouldn't hit us - we'd whack them back with those metal boxes - which worked until dad needed his boxes...). I distinctly remember driving in the big moving truck past those kids waiting at the bus stop. I don't think I have ever been happier. At last! Some friends...

I desperately wanted to just fit in.

I tried to do what other kids did. Not that I wanted to be like the others - I just didn't want to stand out. So I tried to mimic the others in class and do what they did. You can imagine my surprise when my mother went to school to talk to my teacher (parent-teacher conference) and the teacher said that she knew I was a Mormon. I was so sure I had everyone fooled. I guess I was only fooling myself. I learned that I needed to be myself because it was obvious who I was anyway.

Then I got to Utah and met some of the kids here. I came to realize that kids were just kids no matter where you live. Some kids are very mean. Others are very kind and friendly. I was surprised to find people attracted to me who were good, but also that people were mean to me who didn't even know me.

When we moved to Orem, we were pretty excited. We had been living in the basement apartment of a small home in Provo and we needed to get someplace where the six of us kids could spread out. The house in Orem was great - plenty of room, nice quiet neighborhood, and no basement! We ended up living in that house for 8 years - until my mission. It was there that I really found some good friends. Some of the friends I made there are people I still consider friends. Some have drifted through my life like clouds across the blue sky, but each have left a mark, an impression.

Comments

LivingstonClan said…
Ok--this was great to read--I never heard about the metal invoice boxes--that's funny! I mean not funny, but funny--you know. And I am pretty sure we lived in that house in Orem from 83-95, which makes it at least 11 years--right?! Dork! Sure love you Billy!
Bill Cobabe said…
Yeah, you know, I remember moving out when I was 17. I came back for about a year (after boot camp and before my mission) and left forever when I was 19. 19+1974=1993. Who's the dork now?
LivingstonClan said…
ya--but you said "we ended up living there for 8 years" so who's the dork? (We all know the answer to that!)

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t