Skip to main content

Confusion


So I read this this morning:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32136892

I am at once confused and deeply troubled.

The confusion comes from this - what exactly did the Governor think he was signing? Didn't he read it? Didn't he have his team of legal folks tell him that this law was fraught (FRAUGHT!) with issues? Didn't he understand that this a discriminatory, hateful thing which just should not be?

Apparently not.

So, I've written a few laws myself. A fair few. And I've read A LOT of laws. Where I work now has a land use ordinance that seems cobbled together like a Frankenstein of many different laws and iterations all over the State and Country. This is not unusual - plagiarism is alive and well in planning circles, because what is working well in one place just may be of benefit in others... But the problem comes when there are contradictory items in the code. And even more problematic is when the code does not reflect the intent of the governing body.

This does not seem to be the case in Indiana. The law clearly defines the parameters and restrictions that are to be enacted. And the honorable Governor MUST have known that. But he got caught. Apparently there were people watching this who noted that it was problematic, and brought it to light.

Specifically, the discriminatory language and effect of the law is damning. It demonstrates the nefarious nature and disposition of those who crafted, passed, and signed the law. And what is particularly damning is the idea that it so closely matches what was passed in Utah recently, where discrimination was categorically refuted/denied. But this is just another work-around to discriminate against LGBT folks in the name of "religious liberty", whatever that means.

There's another point that is troubling, however. It is in the language that defines a "person" as a business, religious organization, or association. Which reminded me of this:




Here's a recent article about the phenomenon:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/corporations-are-people-a_b_5543833.html

The idea of "corporate personhood" is an interesting one, initially designed to protect investors and business folks from prosecution in the event their business venture went south. But the rights extended to such entities has gone way beyond what was originally anticipated. Because, here's the thing - Mitt Romney is right: corporations ARE people - at least, they're made up of people and ultimately benefit their share holders, who are people (real, live, flesh and blood human beings). At some point, after you strip away all of the layers of LLCs and other corporate bureaucracy, there are people. And those people often have religious beliefs that put them at odds with a particular legal or moral stance. So the Court decided that a law cannot force some physical or corporate person to do something that goes against said religious beliefs.

This seems like a good idea, but is so very troubling that I almost don't know what to say about it. The laws we put in place are for the protection of all, but particularly the institutionally disenfranchised against said institution. It is to defend the rights of the few against the tyranny of the majority. And (as is relevant in this case) it is intended to help ensure the rights of the (relative) poor against the plutocracy.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

And it bothers me a lot. This law is awful.

It reminds me of the Hobby Lobby deal - you know, where the folks at Hobby Lobby were going to refuse to give health insurance to their employees because they might use it on things like contraceptives and "morning-after" pills... No one at Hobby Lobby or the insurance companies are condoning a certain course of action, and no one is forcing women to take contraceptives or "morning-after" pills. But by removing the possibility of a woman from accessing these drugs (for whatever reason, morally objectionable or not) is the tyranny of the religious plutocracy, artificially placing their corporate sense of religious/moral right on others who may not feel the same way. And because they have "corporate personhood", they can do this.

I'm glad they're revisiting it. The best idea would be to put it in File 13.

Comments

lillysmum said…
Amen a thousand thousand times. I could not agree more with, basically, your ENTIRE post.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t