Skip to main content

Who is buried in Grant's tomb...


I don't know if this categorizes as a political post or not. So if I offend you easily please stop reading now. If on the other hand you just want to hear a random thought for the day, well then, my friend, read on...

I am writing a grant application. This is for infrastructure improvements that are needed in our community. The federal government has decided that they will give us some money to improve things like sewers, water systems, drainage, etc. That's great. Because of the rural nature of ours and several other nearby counties affected by Hurricane Ike, the government has decided that some areas can get direct allocations of funds through their local COG (council of governments) - which is basically a place for exactly this kind of thing to happen. So - the fed notices a need (hurricane recovery) notifies the state that they're going to give us a billion dollars (it's actually more like 1.3 billion or something, but who's counting?) which notifies the COG that they're going to have to facilitate the applications to the state for the communities they serve. With me so far? I know it's convoluted. It's government. What did you expect?!?

OK. So our County (Chambers) is one of those counties who got a direct allocation of funds. This is nice because 1) it means we get to deal with the county instead of having to go up against big cities like Houston or Galveston, or even small places that got a lot of media attention like Rollover Pass or Gilchrist - not that they don't deserve money, but when you have to go up against them for funds they usually get the lion share and we're left with, well, not enough to do anything with; and 2) it also means that we get to deal with the County, which is a known quantity - both ways - and they know our needs/concerns. So far so good.

So we prepared an estimate that the County used in applying to the COG and then the COG used in applying to the state. We got the approval for all of that, and our County got something like 70 million dollars. That's a nice shot in the arm in a place that only has 30 thousand residents. 1/2 of that goes to housing concerns (and there are a LOT of them - no hard feelings about that: those folks could really, really use the help) and the other 1/2 comes for infrastructure deals. Which is where we come in...

Having identified several projects of various level of concern, we narrowed down the scope to four or five projects we thought we could go with. It's not very sexy stuff (emergency generators on lift stations...) but it's very important, particularly in the event of an, well, an event. Our total piece of the pie amounted to just over 4 million dollars. We were approved through the County and COG for that amount. It's just sitting there, like the George's donut on that Seinfeld episode where he ate out of the trash. Remember that one? That was awesome.

So my consternation today comes from having to apply to the state to get that donut. Yes, the funds are there. Yes, the projects are worthy (eligible is the exact term). Yes, we STILL have to make application for the funds. It all has to be on the official forms and must demonstrate that the funds are going for real projects (instead of some one's pocket - which is ironic because it all ends up in some one's pocket anyway).

My complaint is that it's all so process-heavy. Everything is overseen at LEAST four times - City, County, COG, State - if there's no congressional hearing into the funding... Why do I feel like I am just a high-priced and well-educated prostitute?

The good thing is that I am almost done. At least for this round. I just heard that they have allocated an additional billion for clean up. Which means we may get even our most out there (but still necessary!) projects funded...

Tell you what - when the next hurricane comes, my City is the place to be!

Comments

Bill

I thought in your masters program somewhere they would have had a required class called the redundancy of government programs. The bureaucrats (and by definition the term includes you and me)are all aware of the sacred principle of CHECKS AND BALANCES as enthroned by the founding fathers. They want to demonstrate that they are keeping the faith, so they all check to the point that things are out of balance.

Seriously, most of it is done with good intentions, in accordance with written law, and often is founded on some negative experience (fraud) now forever banished by layers of reporting. The interesting thing I have observed as both a grant maker and grant seeker is that the checks and balances make perfect sense when it is your level of government that is imposing them, and invariably makes no sense even one level above yours.

A story I may have told you illustrates all this rather well. When I was running both the weatherization and home repair programs for the Uintah Basin AOG, a bright man with the Richfield AOG noticed that there were some things that both programs would pay for, like furnaces and water heaters. He and a contractor determined that they could install 1 furnace, and bill each program for it, thus getting paid twice. No one from one program checked to see if the other was also paying.

Well, after several thousands of dollars of this, they were finally caught. He would up losing his job and ultimately his family when his wife divorced him.

But for our purposes today, the interesting thing that happened was that the two programs decided that to prevent this in the future would be for all the rest of us honest people to fill out a new form in duplicate, and send each program a copy to be checked for duplication prior to approval.

What was most frustrating about this was al the extra work and delay in getting approval to complete the job. All of us more or less honest people would have been perfectly happy if they had just punished the two guys, and left the rest of us alone. But no, we got more work, and more frustration over what had to be done to do what the programs were designed for: helping needy people.

But to the state bureaucrats it was entirely justified, reasonable, and only a little more work.

Get used to it.

Dad
Bill Cobabe said…
I knew you would have something to say on this, pop... I was expecting something a little more inspirational than "get used to it" though. HA!!

Ah, well. I suppose that's good advice. I am just a little bugged today because the engineer who's doing the cost estimates handed me things in hard copy and I can't get his numbers to collate... ARGH!!!

Ah, that was cathartic. Now back to work... :-)
Rhonda said…
Hey, it wasn't a doughnut, it was an eclair.

Popular posts from this blog

Christ by highest heaven adored, Christ the everlasting Lord!

The purpose of the Book of Mormon is to testify of Christ and bring souls to Him. Who can deny this who have read the book and pondered it's sacred import? My life has been blessed and I have come to know Christ through reading this holy book. I know that Christ lives and loves us. I know He is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that through His merits alone we are saved from an eternity of misery and woe. I know that He died for us. I know He lives for us, advocating our cause before the throne of the Almighty. He is the author and finisher of our faith. He is the Master, the Son of God, the great Jehovah. Blessed and praised be His Holy Name forever and ever! To Him be all glory, honor, and majesty to an eternal day! It is the atonement of Christ - His suffering and subsequent victory - that makes all of this possible. His grace is sufficient for all after all we can do. And make no mistake - we must do all in our power. But through Him and by Him we can and will overcome. I love H

2020 - A retrospective

 There will no doubt be many retrospectives written about the year that was 2020. It was a tough year for most, a good year for many, and generally speaking a very interesting year. Which reminds me of the the old curse - may you live in interesting times. Because, you see - interesting does not always mean good. It does not mean better. It does not mean happy. It just means interesting. So to highlight just how interesting things were, I offer the following post about things that went on. Or didn’t went on. It’s not intended to be chronological, necessarily, or even accurate. It’s just some of my observations.... Let’s start with the pandemic. Pandemic is a word that was previously the realm of science fiction and/or horror writers (The Stand comes to mind). Late 2019 a disease was identified in Wuhan, China, which is a place I’d never heard of before. Apparently coming from some kind of exotic meat market, this strain of Coronavirus was something that the world hadn’t seen before. Ma

Is this thing still on?

 Does anyone even blog anymore? I remember when it first got started and everyone was having a blog. I like writing, and I do a lot of it in my professional life, but not everything makes it onto this blog, which is where a lot of my personal thoughts come out. I put more into Facebook lately, too, because it's a little easier. But there's something to be said for this long-form writing exercise, and I think I will continue here periodically. You don't mind, do you? Well, in my last post I wrote about how difficult things were for me at the time. That changed in July when I finally got a job working for the State of Utah. I was the program manager for the moderate income housing database program, and that meant I worked from home a lot but also went in to Salt Lake when needed, mostly on the train. It was a good experience, for the most part, and I'm grateful for the things I learned even in the short time I was there.  In October I started working for Weber County in t